Durham 10/18/1992 - 8/10/2007

LI-Jack

I was a younger man when Durham was given to me as a gift. She was only 8 weeks old when I got her, and what a great gift. I trained her as best as I knew how and eventually became the owner she deserved. She was my first (and only) hunting dog that I was blessed to have had for so many years. I tried to prepare for the inevitable, the day I would have to say good bye, but there was no way I could prepare for my emotions.

I'll remember all the days we hunted and swam together, the bedspreads that she chewed though when she was an adolescent- not to mention the stack of old hunting mags she shreaded. I'll remember the nudges to get my attention and the cold nose from the backseat startling those in the front as she pressed it against their cheeks in an attempt to give a doggie kiss. I'll always remember the 4:00 am cyclone spin when I grabbed the gun and you'd almost wake up the rest of the family as we left to go hunting. I'll remember so many things that I thought were trivial at the time but now that you are gone those memories are treasures. I'll remember you as my first child, who listened better then the 2 legged kind.

I spent over a third of my life hunting with Durham. They were the best years and some of the worst, but she was always there, tail wagging and always proud.

retreive2.JPG
I miss her.

Last edited by a moderator:
so sorry to hear of your loss of your buddy
Take Care keep the memories they will help you thru

Shermie Clarke

Great Photo there of Durham, old dog look so wise you know. I am very sorry to hear of your loss of a dear friend and companion. She definetly led a long life and for that you were blesed to get to be "her pet" for thoes years. She kept you inline and put a smile on your face when you were sad. Dont worry she is doing well and in good company with the other fine companions up there in that marsh in the sky, I know our murphy would greet her with a wagging tail and a labrador smile. Sorry to hear of her passing and please take care of yourself its tough and we all have to go thru this way to often in our lives.... When you value them so much its just not fair that they are here for such a short time.....

Dave and Gordy

Jack

At almost 15 years of age I consider you quite fortunate to have had such a good partner that many years. I sincerely hope Cassie and Maggie are with me that long. You were blessed. I hope the pain of your loss quickly subsides but the warmth you and Durham felt persists.

Back