1/2 bottle BBQ sauce {Thinned with water lightly}
1/2 tsp garlic powder or 1/2 a clove of garlic crushed

In a microwave safe dish melt margarine and sprinkle in the garlic
Cut the meat into thin strips like french fries & about 2-3inches long
Stir into the melted margarine and garlic mixture
Heat on high 5 to 8 minutes {Stir twice only}
Add BBQ sauce now-stir-cook on high 4 minutes-stir-
cook on low-{very important on low} 10 minutes
stir once at 5 minute mark. Serve on Buns Enjoy!

Had a dinner party last night and tried a new taste. This is Caribbean influence. Did this with fresh venison back strap. It was a big hit. NO LEFTOVERS!

1 Tablespoon ground clove
1 Tablespoon ground allspice
1 Tablespoon ground nutmeg
1 Tablespoon ground cardamom
1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper
1/4 Tablespoon ground cinnamon (go easy on this as it can overpower a dish)
2 Tablespoons kosher salt
1 Tablespoon fresh cracked black pepper
2 Tablespoons of brown sugar

Place all incredients into gallon sized zip lock and add olive oil to make a thick paste. Place loin in bag and make sure it is completely coated. Marinate for minimum 24 hours; 48 is best.

Orange sauce

6 cups of beef stock
1 large jar orange marmalade
10 whole cloves

Take ingredients and place in a sauce pan and reduce 3/4 until it is nearly a syrup. Strain and keep warm.

Take venison loin and sear evenly on all sides. Finish in oven at 400F. You want the meat to be 140F for medium rare. Use a probe thermometer to watch temp. Pull meat and allow to rest on cutting board. Deglaze pan with beef stock and add fresh mushrooms and saute. Slice meat into medallions. Cover with orange sauce and enjoy mushrooms on the side.

Best,
Steve

This is one of seven recipes I copied from a German Wild Game cookbook I had on loan while I was there. It also works well using puddle duck breasts:

The recipe calls for a wild mushroom that is not commonly found in the U.S. Over the nearly two decades I have been using this recipe, these are the substitutes that yield a complementary taste to the dish.

2 lbs of venison back strap medallions tenderized and flattened slightly with a meat tenderizing mallet
1 1/2 C of fresh sliced shitake mushrooms or honey mushrooms (Armallaria sp in season), you can also use wild Agaricus sp. found on most golf courses or their store bought domesticated cousins. If you use dried shitake mushrooms let them reconsitute in water overnight.
1 cup of half and half or cream-your choice
1/2 c of riesling white wine
4 tbsp butter or smart balance margarin spread (you can fry with this and it is actually quite good, as well as being an HDL stimulant)
Uncle Ben's long grain and wild rice mix or Far East longrain and wild rice mix (lower sodium content)

After the spice mix has been ground into a coarse powder, thoroughly rub it into both sides of the venison cutlets. Dip and roll the venison pieces in flour to coat, reserving the remaining flour and rub for addition later. In a braising pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the venison and cook 2-3 minutes per side. Venison should still me medium rare upon removal to a dish to rest. Add mushrooms and cook 3-4 minutes. Add the wine. When the alcohol has cooked-off, add in 1 -3 tbsp. of flour, depending on liquid cooked off the mushrooms and add the half and half, stirring frequently until the sauce thickens. Reintroduce the venison and sprinkle-in any remaining spice rub. Re-heat the venison and sauce, allowing the spices to marry over medium-low heat for approximately 10-15minutes and serve with long grain and wild rice.

A good Cabernet Sauvignon goes well with this dish since it is very rich.

Spice Rub
combine the following in a spice grinder:
12-14 whole juniper berries
ten black pepper corns
1-2 bay leaves
1/2-3/4 tsp of kosher salt

Rub this mix

Back