alumacraft ducker motor mount.

Kyle

I am trying to find info on the alumacraft made motor mount for the alumacraft ducker, I am guessing that if i found one it would be a pretty good find but none the less i am trying to find one anyways, or (something that would work) I looked through the alumacraft calalog that art emailed me (thanks art if you read this!!!!) anyways and i read on the alumacraft ducker page that they offered a motor mount as an option for a 3hp for the ducker, anyone have a pic of how it mounted to the ducker or anyone made/modified a motor mount for a ducker without any serious alterations to the ducker? I love the boat and dont want to ruin anything on it but i have a 3hp ducktwin that would just love to push the ducker around :) any information would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks
Page15_zpsf7d08e7a.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey Kyle -

I may have some drwaing of something that would meet your needs. I'm sort of tied up for the day so if you don't see anything back from me by tomorrow, could you pm to remind me. I think Ed Lydic also made seomthing for his old aquapods that wopuld work well. You may want to give him a shout out as well.

Mark W

I don't know if this mount was original or added on, and I only have one lousy photo that doesn't show it well, and the kid who owns the boat just left for 6 months of skiing and canoeing in northern Vermont, but . . . . ..

If you go to this link, you can see a ducker with a welded-on motor mount.

http://duckboats.net/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=173462;#173462

I don't have any photos that show it better, but it was pretty simple--just some plate metal welded to the cockpit coaming.

Not a great idea, as it makes it really hard for anyone to sit on the deck at that end of the boat.

In the photo in the link, you can see the mount on the back side of the cockpit, sticking out to the left side of the boat.

Last edited:
Kyle,

I've got a factory one for my 67' Ducker. I'll take a pic or two of the mount. If you bought a factory canoe side mount and just get a longer piece of aluminum channel, you could adapt the canoe side mount to the ducker.

Ron

Kyle,

The link that Ed L. sent you is a factory mount that AlumaCraft provided. They are two transom brackets from one of the models, mounted upside down, with a wood motor board on it. I've had 3 Duckers in my lifetime, one with this bracket on it, and one with the other style which is a side-mount.

I had an original drawing for the side mount one, that the AC company sent me, but it went with it, when it was sold. I paid $130.00 for that one.

The rear mount was really nice to use, with an extension handle. Make sure you use a small outboard. 3 hp MAX!!!!! The aluminum in these boat will have a tendency to crack REAL EASY! All mine had to have the oarlock mounts redone, as cracking appeared around the riveted mounts. They were really light boats, and could easily be lifted in the bed of a pick. Easy to tow over ice, when beaver trapping.

Good Luck!!

P.S. Nice catalog pic!!

Art, thanks again for the catalog!! all the info is great!!

so on those alumacraft motor mounts did they just bolt them up through the decking i suppose? I didn't want to drill holes in my boat but i guess how else would a guy make it work? the previous owner (of my ducker) drilled holes on the one side and had a hunk of steel hanging off the side for a side mount so i have to fix them holes anyways....

Last edited:
thats awesome thanks so much it gives me a great idea!! I am thinking of making a simple piece like yours that would hook around the cockpit combing and then let the back handle of the boat go through the board or metal or whatever and make a pin that would go through the handle to hold it down, voila !!! I have a friend who has a tig 175 that likes to play so i think i will look him up to dream up something.....thanks again...

Thanks Mark,

I figured they were still in the archives somewhere but was heading to a meeting yesterday after reading this. Then I forgot about it. Just a thought. As I recall the weight of that 2hp combined with my weight about swamped that 10' boat.

Kyle,

If you contacted AlumaCraft, I bet they would sell you a set of the transom brackets. This would be a factory setup, and would attach to were they're supposed to be fastened. Make sure you use aluminum bolts and aluminum nylok nuts, also some thick aluminum for a backing plate.

Whichever route you go with, just make sure you do NOT drill into the air flotation tank. That would not only ruin your day, but most of us on this site.

I see you have a Ducktwin. That is one sweet little motor. Light, small tank, and "spin-around" reverse. Perfect for that Ducker.

Good Luck,

Art

yes the ducktwin is a sweet little motor, i also have a 3.3evinrude that is a single cylinder and that also would be a great motor for the ducker, i will get a hold of alumacraft and see what develops, those would be a old stock item for them wouldn't they? like on the old model "F"s or something of that nature? I will just have to get a hold of them and see what they say...

Thanks again for the information, i love the vintage boats!! if thats right to say.....
(how old does it have to be to be considered "vintage" 50yrs plus???

Bill, that is exactly what i was thinking of building up!!! looks great and keeping it simple is always the way to go!!! thanks for the pictures!!!

I am definately going that route, i think i am going to try to make it out of aluminum will see what develops....another project!

Shannon,

That's the one I spoke of earlier on this post. Super neat job.

Stainless??

That's just like the factory one!!

Art

Art,

1/4" thick aluminum. The mount seems to work ok with the small electric trolling motor I have.

I also have this picture. Not sure where I got it.. but pretty sure these are original oars and motor mount.

View attachment 436.JPG

Last edited:
Shannon,

Thanks for the PDF!!

If those oars are 5' long, they are originals and worth $500.00 just for the oars. The last boat I had had originals and I sold the oars on eBay for that amount, so I know that there are people out there that want the complete package. The oars did NOT come with the boat when a person purchase one, they were an option that few people 'bite on".

I had a pair of 6' oars that I got 230.00 for, and the wood handle part was mice chewed on one of them. The guy that bought them said that he was going to repair with epoxy and sawdust.

I would never try to take the wood out, and try to reinstall a new wood set. The factory had some crimping machine that really tightened the aluminum around the wood handle.

Nice find!!

Art

Bringing this back from a long time ago. I read here that Aumacraft at one time made a transom motor mount. Ed had a link to one on Craiglist but it has long since expired. Anyone have a picture of thi transome mount or can anyone direct me to a picture?

Thanks -

Mark W

Back