Great South Bay Scooter Rehab - Part 3

Steve Sanford

Well, the demise of the (very satisfying) gunning seasons and the sub-zero cold have kept me in the shop, making good progress on the Scooter. As you will see, the exterior is pretty much done. My next efforts will be sewing some canvas and repairing a few floor frames. The full step-by-step - with many more photos - is on my website at:

http://stevenjaysanford.com/great-south-bay-scooter/

BTW: If you go to the site, be sure to click on the first photo in each Gallery. That will give you a much larger image and will advance like a slide show with captions on each.

She sat outside with a newly 'glassed bottom for most of the fall and gunning seasons. So, first job was to grind and sand the bottom and get some paint on her:

1sm1-Bottomandbrassrunnerssandedandbottompaintedwith3coats_zpsdaee6e99.jpg

The runners are faired into the hull fore and aft. The brass was "resurfaced" with 150 grit on my belt sander.

2sm3-Endsofbrassrunnersarefairedintobottomforeandaft_zps0166f0db.jpg

Once I flipped her rightside up, the decks needed some fairing compound and some 6-ounce 'glass set in epoxy. (Actually, I would have preferred 4-ounce but I only had the 6 on hand.) Of course, lots more grinding and sanding - with 60-grit on my orbital hooked up to my good shop vac.

3sm4-6-ozglassissetinepoxy-followedbylotsofgrindingandsandingwith60-gritintheorbital_zps5e61c053.jpg

A friend - and new duckboat.net member - Mark Mahoney - helped me make a new fairlead for the bow. First we flattened some bronze rod.

4sm1-Hammeringroundstockflat_zps7eb3ab86.jpg

Then we bent it around a solid steel bar. (Actually, I did a lot of watching and picture-taking.)

5sm3-Itisbentaroundasolidrodwithapipeforleverage_zps28baeb65.jpg

I had made a template for the bow angle.

6sm7-Readyforinstallation_zpsa8a30814.jpg

Here it is installed. We used round head screws to avoid weakening the bronze stock with countersinks. And, it is set in 3M 5200 for sealing and strength.

7sm10-Caulkissmoothedaroundfairlead_zps52fffe07.jpg

This flange was re-set - I think my Dad may have fabricated it back in '54 - at the mast partners. It has had a heavy pipe cap on it as a cover. I will be turning a plug from cypress - to be more in keeping with the tradition.

8sm11-Flangethroughmastpartnersiscleanedandre-installed_zpse17a0905.jpg

I also replaced a larger pad eye at the stern. It serves as a fairlead for the stern anchor.

9sm8-Theexcessiswipedoff-andusuallyspreadonanotherdeckfitting_zpsd2450435.jpg

The stool rack needed a re-build. I believe my Dad designed and built it. It is a 6-sided box that sits on the rear deck with no hardware - and folds accordion-like to stow under the rear deck while gunning. I stripped most of the paint, reinforced the ends with epoxy, and used larger machine screws to reinstall the brass piano hinges - which, of course, were bedded in 3M 5200.

10smRack1_zps5285d3c5.jpg

The 10-32 machine screws were backed with washers.

11smRack5_zps7cabc5fc.jpg

The nuts were ground down so the rack would fold on itself - at least most of the way.

12smRack6_zps2ad835ea.jpg

Once reassembled, inside corners were marked on the deck - to receive chocks to keep it from sliding. The rack usually slides - when filled with decoys - only when rolling it over the beach or getting the Scooter through/over pressure ridges.

13smRack8_zps314c73ce.jpg

The front and rear bevels are different - and so the chocks were made in pairs.

14smRack9_zpsfa74c9ed.jpg

The chocks were sawn and routed and drilled before being cut from the stock.

15smRack10_zps649384d4.jpg

One chock in each corner does the trick. It takes just seconds to rig or remove the rack.

16smRack12_zps9986b81b.jpg

This bow - to support the canvas cowling that hides your head and keeps the wind out of the cockpit - was made from oak and Weldwood glue about 45 years ago. (Which was why my earliest coffin boxes used wooden bows and not the conduit I use now.) The paper wasps had nibbled some of the existing canvas cowling - so I have ordered more. This time I'm using Sunbrella instead of cotton canvas.

17sm5_zpsc14dad83.jpg

The "ridge pole" keys into place fore and aft - and "tents" the cockpit cover (also "to be sewn".....)

18sm7_zpse55136ba.jpg

I reinstalled these oarlock stanchions about 20 years ago - and they are still sound. I also bored the scupper holes at that time - to drain out rainwater. More than once, I found the sockets plugged with ice - and no ice pick at hand a half-mile offshore. In fact, I thought I "invented" the idea - until I saw the same scuppers in another Scooter at the Long Island Maritime Museum (in West Sayville) a few weeks ago - nothing new under the sun. Also, although some do not like pinned oars, I learned to row with these and appreciate that they will never slip out and that the blades are always upright - even in the dark!

19sm8_zpsf88dff14.jpg

Here is one of the stool rack chocks.

20sm9_zpsfbb7b75e.jpg

Here are just some of the "accessories" needed for the fully-equipped Scooter. This is from "The Hunter's Encyclopedia".

20aScooter-HuntersEncyclopedia1small_zps83befbdb.jpg

I put off the interior work to get this gear in shape. I sewed the flag new - as well as one for White-Wing - and put it on the existing staff. I like the black-and-white because it seems to show better under different light conditions. The oars are ash; the floorboards and stool rack are white cedar. The rowing stool gets you up off the floorboards - much more comfortable for me - and also doubles as the headrest when gunning.

21smGear1_zpsd1157a36.jpg

This pickup stick - for decoys and anchor lines - began life opening upper windows.

22smGear3_zpsdc856d95.jpg

I put Turk's Heads on almost everything I have that looks like a pole. They do keep wet and icy handles from slipping through wet and icy gloves - and they sure do look salty.....

23smGear5_zps7d22cd5a.jpg

This Scooter was white during my youth, grey "striped" during my teens, and pale grey under my custodianship. I have decided - after much fretting - to restore it to its traditional white. Again, my recent visit to the Museum showed me nothing but white in the older Scooters. And, even though pale grey is much closer to the color of salt ice and certainly is closer to open bay waters - many. many thousands of Broadbill and Whistler have been shot from white gunning boats on Great South Bay.

25sm12_zps8a619424.jpg

I actually like the way the individual planks are visible - even though the ideal carvel hull should be smooth. With all of my duckboats, I strive for a "workboat finish" - not a "yacht finish" - and I could not justify filling and fairing and adding weight - just so it might look smooth-skinned.

24smCover_zps2f7ae26b.jpg

Here's another reason it is once again white - this is my Dad dragging this boat - off Nicoll's Poiint - in the early 60s.

TMSdraggingScooteroffNicollsPoint1960_zps8683f751.jpg

Stay tuned. With any luck, I may - in a couple of weeks - get her out on some ice for some "sea trial" photos.

All the best,

SJS

Thanks for sharing I enjoyed the transformation of such an important craft. I really like the picture of your father on the ice with the same boat. Is that sea ice or fresh water? I have never been brave enough to cross large stretches of sea ice on foot. But we have some houses that were dragged across the Bay in the 1900s when the ice was thick enough.

AMAZING workmanship and photojournalism!! Much appreciate your willingness to share your methods and reasoning behind the bits and bobs you place around the deck and within.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys - glad you enjoy the post.

And, yes, that is salt ice my Dad is dragging the Scooter on. It is in Great South Bay - with salinity pretty close to ocean water. I would never walk across such ice without a boat unless I knew the bottom was nearby. Tides keep the water moving beneath the ice and vary a lot - hence the "air holes" that we hunt in. He is probably over 6 or 8 feet of water in the picture - plenty deep enough for drowning - but he's got a good hold on the painter and he knows ice. Actually, I'm guessing they took these photos because there was no open water to be found that morning.

Salt ice is much more "plastic" than fresh ice - which is both much harder and more brittle. Salt ice will usually start to flex beneath you when it's getting too thin to walk on - giving you time to get in the boat and either break out the pike pole or the grapnel anchor.

All the best,

SJS

Absolutely fantastic! I have really enjoyed the telling of your journey and being able to follow along during its re-creation.

The photo of your dad on the ice makes everything ten times better.

An awesome record of your work, Steve. What a great feeling it must be to preserve a legacy started by your Dad!
Are there details on how you do the "Turk's head" wrap on your website?

That is fantastic, Steve. I also have to tell you that your shop is sure one great looking place to be working in.
Al

Hi, Bob~

As it turns out, I am working on another post/tutorial about making flags, walking staffs, push poles, pickup sticks et cetera - each of which benefit from a Turk's Head.

For the Turk's Head, I have always used the drawings and instructions in Hervey Garrett Smith's "The Marlinspike Sailor". I have kept a copy of the excellent drawings in my ditty bag for decades. Here they are (hope I'm not violating any copyright rules):

smTurksHeadp28_zpsf448daab.jpg

smTurksHeadp29_zps17906c71.jpg

The drawings just depict the first round. I usually put 3 rounds on - lots of work with an awl (marlinspike?) pushing and pulling the line around, keeping everything neat and tight. I slip the TH onto the shaft after Round 1 - then weave the other 2 in. Once it is tight, I usually epoxy the Turk's Head onto the shaft - and then paint or varnish or oil the finished knot.

BTW: This is a fine use for old decoy line.

All the best,

SJS

Thank you for the pictures of the Turk's head weave, Steve. Definitely a project for the top of my wooden push-pole sometime.

When we taught the Turk's head, line whipping, etc. I gave eash of the boys a piece of PVC pipe and some parachute cord. Real easy with the sliding surfaces, and the PVC pipe was stiff to serve as the main line. We used the Turk's head for a neckerchief slide... but I guess I should get back in practice to adorn some of my hunting gear!

Steve, it goes without saying that a bunch of us are probably enjoying your retirement about as much as you are -- we get the joy of seeing the projects come to life without snorting all the sawdust and catching heck for tracking debris into the house! Really enjoying your projects and if you want to try some southern waters some day, let us all know! Best, Rufus (And have you done any tutorials on making that gorgeous brant silhouette you have hanging on the wall in the shop?)

Wow great post, I need a coffee break with all that work going on.
If you give her a sea trail this year give me a call. I would love to trail that craft.

Back