SE Zone Duck season

Kevin B

here are the SE zone dates

Oct 11th-19th
Split
Nov.8th-Dec 28th

Can't say I like the 2 zones early split open at the same time, but it is what it is.

HOO-RAY!!

We got back all those days before Southern Zone Deer opens (which forecloses many good duck spots for us).

All the best,

SJS

Good point Steve. Last season I drove down to deer hunt with a good friend on the Hudson for opening day. Sitting in my climber and hearing the guns at legal made me think I was chasing the wrong critter that morning.

Last edited:
I think this format works best for the S.E. zone, I'm happy they returned it to how it was. It should give a good opportunity to hunt ducks and geese together for the 2nd opener at our marsh spot and also more chances at woodies and teal in the second half. Tom are you planning on hunting the big B or do you have other ideas?
Now I have to see what they did for the other zones.

How is it that NY is already setting season dates?

Here in Maine, season dates don't get set until late summer--after the feds set the framework for bag limits and # of days.

If we could plan farther ahead, it sure would make planning vacation time for the early part of season easier.

Jeff, Ny has a citizen task forces for each zone,we meet along with the NYSDEC biologists'. They already have the tentative guide lines from the feds. Duck season can start no earlier than Sept 24th and end no later than the Jan 31st. After that it is up to the task force to give their recommendations. I believe this is the 10th year the state has been using this format. The hunters set the date for each zone it works pretty good most years.

Kevin:

Thanks. So presumably there is some chance that things would need to be adjusted once the feds set the framework after this year's populations assessments?

We never hear any discussion of dates here until mid summer.

I did see some chatter on a local forum about thoughts on changes to the black duck limit. Apparently they were looking for feedback on a shorter season for blacks, with a two bird limit. It seemed like a bad idea to just about everyone who commented.

Sure would be nice to have some idea of the season dates early . . . . We can generally guess, but a little more certainty would help.

There could be ,but that wouldn't change the dates,just the bag. I saw the Black duck question on the New England form. I would think it would be a bad idea. If you want to shoot more Black ducks book a trip with Shermie

Yeah, it seemed like a really terrible idea. I think the concept was to have the early season closed for harvest of blacks, but then allow a 2 per day harvest in the late season.

My sense is that the early closure would result in a lot of accidentally shot black ducks being left to rot in the marsh. Even if it didn't, I think those of us who hunt the coast would kill a lot more blacks per season if we could take two blacks per day in the late season when they are packed on the coast.

And enforcement would be a nightmare. I really didn't hear any support for it.

I've got to talk to our DIFW folks about getting more lead time on season dates here.

Back