Living the Moment

Al Hansen

In your lifetime, I would only hope that you had the opportunity to experience some of the things that have happened to me when I was growing up. More than once I have thought of the timing and how perfect it all seemed to be. Being raised in the early 1940s was the best as far as I was concerned.

I look at young people today with their lives filled with wonderful gadgets. Are they better off—I think not. Why? That brings me back to grade school especially in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade. Yes, I know that the desks I sat in still had the hole cut in the wood top just for the ink bottle yet we never used it for that. Back in the late 40s and early 50s being in grade school was a kick for sure. Where else could you have so much fun? We cherished the moment to be out on the playground so that we could take out our jackknives and play those marvelous games. No one ever got hurt, not one of us had our knives taken away from us during the day because we always kept them in our pockets when not out at recess. Ah, the learning game was always there and every one of us knew what the word, “consequence” meant.

So, back then my gadget of choice was a jackknife. My father had given me one just like his dad did for him. It seemed to be a traditional thing.

This brings me to Alaska when I was a young man of 25. Of course the gadgets had improved in many ways, with modern technological advances it seemed like every day something new was being invented. However, my gadget of choice happened to be a Gerber skinning knife then. I found out what it was like to be involved as a big game hunter. It was not that I was a big game hunter but that I hunted game that seemed big, like a bull moose for example or maybe a Kodiak brown bear.

On one particular hunt which took place in 1972 while Dall sheep hunting, I found out something very special. So unique that in today’s world it now becomes almost a thing of the past without many people ever thinking of it and if they did, they would probably wince, have convulsions or worse yet not know what to do. Yes, it comes back to those gadgets that all the young people have and use. You, know, like having a phone up to your ear all the time, or walking around aimlessly while texting with your very “smart” phone, maybe walking out into traffic or going nose first into a pole. Those ever lasting sounds of traffic with horns blaring, jets flying overhead, and of course the phone ringing or your very “smart” phone giving you that signal that you have a text message to read, seem to command our attention to the fullest extent now.

Why do I mention this? How many people today have ever experienced complete or total quiet? I admit that it is much more difficult because just in our country since I grew up, there are at least 160 million more people all vying for their spot! It, sound and the lack of it, is unique and unforgettable. While I was on my 15 day sheep hunt in the Alaskan range, I never saw another person, heard an airplane or even a distant shot from a rifle. There was no traffic din, nor cell phones letting me know of a call or recent text message. The only sounds that I experienced back then would have been the winds blowing through pine trees, a lone wolf howling in the evening as the sun was setting, maybe some birds singing and yes, even the butting of heads when Dall rams were showing their dominance. That sound seemed to reverberate throughout the valley I was in. It was back then that reading the adventures of some of the naturalists, like Audubon, Muir, and Sheldon gave me the true meaning of what I was finally experiencing.

I loved every moment of that serene silence that only Nature can give you. Where else could you find yourself in a spot where the night sky was so dark that the stars literally seemed to leap out at you—almost at touching distance? Where else could you find yourself immersed in a backdrop with a bull moose grazing on willows sporting a rack that was easily 75+ inches wide. There were no sounds but they didn’t need to be there. The lack of it had me engulfed. That made me one very fortunate guy to have been able to find out what it was like.
Al

Al,
Nice read. I too hate "noise pollution" many of my local duck hunting spots are affected by it. Just no way to get away from it around here. Noise pollution really takes away from the experience. That is one of the reasons I so enjoy the BWCA in upper MN.

Al~

Wonderful thoughts well-stated.

I, too, savor quiet/natural sounds and the night sky. Your essay reminds me of a morning several years ago. My Dad opted to sleep in our Day 2 of our duck season - so I sat on "Home Pond" alone - getting in place well before shooting time, but not particularly inclined to fire my gun. It was a still morning and the dairy farmers had not yet fired up their diesels and so I focused mostly on the sounds of creatures - a wide variety it turned out. The noisemakers included insects, frogs, mammals, birds - everything seemed to be calling or singing - or maybe just creeping up and down trees, trying to walk through the woods, or, best of all, squealing and rushing and dropping in on stiff wings. A true wealth of sounds - and I remember feeling very glad indeed that I had been able to learn them all through my time outdoors. And, on that morning at least, shooting took a distant second.

All the best,

SJS

Al-just yesterday I was having a conversation with someone whom had just returned from a vacation, and being self employed for most of my adult life, I just don't get many of those in the classic sense. But I have had a few. And I was telling her that the best vacations I ever took were backpacking trips that I did in Yosemite, King's Canyon, and Yellowstone. And they were the best just for the reasons that you mention. Quiet. Peace. Fresh air. What can be better? Although physically demanding, it was more refreshing and calming of the mind than almost anything else I could think of doing. Living in New Jersey, it is pretty hard to get away from some kind of noise or lights from a city somewhere. I can get that on the ocean, when I get out far enough to lose sight of land(which isn't too often). And where our hunting shack is located is one of the only spots in this state where you can really see the stars on a clear night, as it is about 50-60 miles from any big light source. And I guess that is why I like both of those places so much.

Thanks for that great story Al. I count myself lucky to live in a state that still has a lot of "big empty" to explore, and to be able to get away from other people. I hope that the value of silent and "empty" places continues to be valued as our world fills up more and more.

Thanks, that was a great read Al! I think you know how much I value getting away from it all and visiting truly remote areas. Some of the best shooting is found near urban areas but the best hunting is always somewhere remote.

Good read Al, really jarred the memory loose a little bit. Even with short moments of pure quiet in the duck marsh the last time I was surrounded by the complete lack of noise other than what nature provides were when I was in the mountains of central Colorado sleeping in the back of my truck at timberline (that was one cold night on a Labor Day weekend, temps below zero) and when I lived north of Brandon's country, in pure Yupper Land. Both locations might have had sparse aresa of civilization but it didn't affect the quiet calm.

I remember laying on the ground in Keystone Gulch trying to catch brook trout for dinner. That was my first lesson on how hard they are to catch; if they saw you it was over. The stream was about 3 feet wide at best and cold pure water.

In the Keweenaw Penisula any time outside the small towns gave pure quiet. Snowshoeing over 3-4 feet of snow was some of the best exercise I ever had. Truly a place I would want to live out my last days!

Al,

Neat read. I've witness that kind of quite only once or twice in my life. Growing up where I live was once the Ag implement capital of the world and it was very noisy. With International Harvester, John Deere, Case, Alcoa a number of foundries, one of the largest rail repair centers in the Midwest and all the support companies it was pretty loud around the clock here. My dad took me on a canoe trip to Lake of the woods when I was 12 years old. I couldn't sleep for two nights! It was two quite. I also fell in love with the sounds of Loons and gained an appreciation for the slap of a beavers tail next to the canoe fishing at night in mosquitoe netting on that trip.

Al,
Nice read. I too hate "noise pollution" many of my local duck hunting spots are affected by it. Just no way to get away from it around here. Noise pollution really takes away from the experience. That is one of the reasons I so enjoy the BWCA in upper MN.

Thanks, Dave. I have had the privilege of going into the Arrowhead region of Minnesota back in the early 60s. It was most memorable---in particular, the loons, walleyes, and mosquitoes.
Al

Good read Al. It resonated with me and I am sure with most that read it. Do you have the silence in new mexico?

That was appreciated, Brandon. I think that in the back of my mind when I was looking for a spot to live out the rest of my life that I picked New Mexico on purpose just because of what we are talking about now. Silence is of the essence to me and there is plenty of it to be shared with others around here if they care to seek it. One of my most memorable moments while living here was walking the last half mile up to the summit of Mount Baldy, in the Magdalena mountain range without my headlamp on. I used just star light since the moon was in its crescent stage. Chili kept me company and when we had attained the peak at 10,783 feet we both sat down and waited for the world to wake up. It was most memorable.

While duck hunting here, I can see no houses nor hear passing traffic on I-25 and that I appreciate. Yes, I hear planes once in a while with most of them coming off of Holloman AFB out of White Sands near Alamagordo, NM. Mostly the noises heard come from thousands of white geese flying to their corn fields to the north of me or the sandhill cranes just "whooping it up."
Al

Al~

Wonderful thoughts well-stated.

I, too, savor quiet/natural sounds and the night sky. Your essay reminds me of a morning several years ago. My Dad opted to sleep in our Day 2 of our duck season - so I sat on "Home Pond" alone - getting in place well before shooting time, but not particularly inclined to fire my gun. It was a still morning and the dairy farmers had not yet fired up their diesels and so I focused mostly on the sounds of creatures - a wide variety it turned out. The noisemakers included insects, frogs, mammals, birds - everything seemed to be calling or singing - or maybe just creeping up and down trees, trying to walk through the woods, or, best of all, squealing and rushing and dropping in on stiff wings. A true wealth of sounds - and I remember feeling very glad indeed that I had been able to learn them all through my time outdoors. And, on that morning at least, shooting took a distant second.

All the best,

SJS

Steve, what you had to say really meant a lot. One of the things I quickly attached with was the many walks my father and I had when I was a kid. As we would meander about he would point out the birds, insects, amphibious creatures, and any plant or tree. He would tell me the name, then give the scientific name and classification. We sure had fun. I still think of it when I'm out there with one of my pups at my side.
Al

Al-just yesterday I was having a conversation with someone whom had just returned from a vacation, and being self employed for most of my adult life, I just don't get many of those in the classic sense. But I have had a few. And I was telling her that the best vacations I ever took were backpacking trips that I did in Yosemite, King's Canyon, and Yellowstone. And they were the best just for the reasons that you mention. Quiet. Peace. Fresh air. What can be better? Although physically demanding, it was more refreshing and calming of the mind than almost anything else I could think of doing. Living in New Jersey, it is pretty hard to get away from some kind of noise or lights from a city somewhere. I can get that on the ocean, when I get out far enough to lose sight of land(which isn't too often). And where our hunting shack is located is one of the only spots in this state where you can really see the stars on a clear night, as it is about 50-60 miles from any big light source. And I guess that is why I like both of those places so much.

Boy, you sure brought back something to me with what you had to say, Greg. When you talked of something being physically demanding to attain, like your hikes that you mentioned, I believe it gives that moment in time greater value or makes it more worth while. It was like denying myself that 3/4 curl Dall ram on the first mountain range and going beyond it to maybe the 2nd or 3rd mountain range and vying for the full curl or better sheep. I guess self satisfaction will fit in there some place---the ultimate challenge maybe.
Al

Thanks for that great story Al. I count myself lucky to live in a state that still has a lot of "big empty" to explore, and to be able to get away from other people. I hope that the value of silent and "empty" places continues to be valued as our world fills up more and more.

Thanks so much, Cody. You, too, are located in one of those God given spots. That makes you very fortunate.
Al

Thanks, that was a great read Al! I think you know how much I value getting away from it all and visiting truly remote areas. Some of the best shooting is found near urban areas but the best hunting is always somewhere remote.

Paul, the best is when you moved to Alberta, which in my humble opinion is one of the most beautiful areas in North America. You are so right about the best being in remote areas---not because of the ducks but everything else that you begin to focus on.
Al

Good read Al, really jarred the memory loose a little bit. Even with short moments of pure quiet in the duck marsh the last time I was surrounded by the complete lack of noise other than what nature provides were when I was in the mountains of central Colorado sleeping in the back of my truck at timberline (that was one cold night on a Labor Day weekend, temps below zero) and when I lived north of Brandon's country, in pure Yupper Land. Both locations might have had sparse aresa of civilization but it didn't affect the quiet calm.

I remember laying on the ground in Keystone Gulch trying to catch brook trout for dinner. That was my first lesson on how hard they are to catch; if they saw you it was over. The stream was about 3 feet wide at best and cold pure water.

In the Keweenaw Penisula any time outside the small towns gave pure quiet. Snowshoeing over 3-4 feet of snow was some of the best exercise I ever had. Truly a place I would want to live out my last days!

Mark, it is good to know that you have had all those experiences. That makes you very lucky. When you talked about snow shoeing it reminded me of the time my hunting partner and I were doing the same thing but hunting for caribou. We came across a small opening in the pine forest we were in where I saw a set of snowshoe hare tracks leading ito the middle where we spotted his hole in the snow. We walked over there and saw that there was no rabbit to be found,however, surrounding the hole were the perfect wing imprints of what looked to be a great horned owl. The owl left those when it pushed off with the rabbit in its talons or that is what we surmised from what we looked at. A most memorable day.
Al

Al,

Neat read. I've witness that kind of quite only once or twice in my life. Growing up where I live was once the Ag implement capital of the world and it was very noisy. With International Harvester, John Deere, Case, Alcoa a number of foundries, one of the largest rail repair centers in the Midwest and all the support companies it was pretty loud around the clock here. My dad took me on a canoe trip to Lake of the woods when I was 12 years old. I couldn't sleep for two nights! It was two quite. I also fell in love with the sounds of Loons and gained an appreciation for the slap of a beavers tail next to the canoe fishing at night in mosquitoe netting on that trip.[/reply

Ed, that had to be one great experience for you. Just think of what you recalled from that trip. I liked that part where you said it was too quiet. Those things do happen. It is like when you live in the bush too long then all of a sudden go to an urban environment, like flying to Anchorage, AK. With a wad of 100s in their pants pocket and wide eyes looking around in disbelief, you can spot them easily. I found myself doing the same thing after spending all summer on Kodiak Island. The city's neon lights give a whole new meaning---of course I was minus the wad of 100s! I never made much working for the Alaska Fish and Game dept.
Al

Al, thank you for that great read. It reminded me of the many times I've been up in the high places, Colorado, Wyoming, here in Washington, just sitting, listening. Did I really hear a rock roll? Every foot print I make, along with those of all the elk and deer, changing the mountain. Did I really hear that bighorn on the slide area way over there a 1/2 mile away side hilling. I was hearing the mountain change, grow.
I use that expression at work sometimes when another nurse or doctor doesn't see or sense what I do. "Can you hear the mountain grow? Focus, block out all the other sounds, listen and hear what is right there."
But up there on the mountain the silence can just scream at you while soothing and cleansing all the parts of life that can cripple, bring us down.
Guess I need to take another long hike. I need to hear that mountain again.

Back