Pup's first boat experience.......

Jim Boyer

was the highlight of recent journal entries in the life of a nine week old pup.

Aug 18 Pounce did four retrieves at the Square Pond grassy area late in the afternoon worked on walking with me on lead afterwards - smart pup and continues to be responsive with good eye contact

note: tether sessions in the house & continue to work on her biting issue - that is going well....she knows what "No" means

Aug 19 went to Duck camp with the older dogs to work on her daily routine, it is very different, trailer, airing, feeding times and complicated by summer "temps" , the boat was ready to move to water early after unloading the gear and as usual the motor is started first in camp on the trailer (air cooled) this time the process was begun while Pounce was still in her crate in the van.....the loud motor noise did not bother her, so I moved her crate to the extended bow deck where she was totally at ease with the motor noise (and I revved it up once), so I moved her crate to a back split seat two feet from the motor, again she was totally non-agitated, calm - I was surprised....then again her crate is a "safe place" and I started feeding her treats as the motor was pushed at bit - no negative reactions

note: this resulted in changing this morning's scouting trip to take Pounce down to the Toad Island sand bar and see how much it had changed by the extended spring floods, the results are in a photo story page/link called

http://kwicklabs.com/PounceToadIsland.htm

Aug 20 Pounce had the day off - except for airing, the regular routines and our trip back to "base camp"

note: Pounce is nine weeks old and learning like a sponge, her penchant for eating twigs and anything else she can get in her mouth coupled with "You can't catch me!" has her wearing a wide, flat collar and a very light Flexi-lead, "magic" is the only way to describe the results....a light touch with this tool is a must and as of now she hardly knows it is on -except the "keep away" fun has been "squashed" smart puppies are a lot of fun and keep a trainer "on his toes"

note: treat "sit" is going great and "kennel up" has become a quick understanding, in addition the biting issue has subsided....now we are working on the "yapping" as she thinks this will speed up her feeding routine, however, she is learning being "quiet" means you will be fed.....and not until, spoiling this pup could be very easy to do.....she is just too cute

Aug 21 - with heavy rains in the forecast, today will be a maintenance day to work on solidify the daily routines around the house

note: just beat the rain with the first airing of the day
------------

Thanks for sharing Jim. I can totally relate to your experiences.

Nothing like a new puppy!

Good Luck with her!

Jon

Back