September - What on your workbench?

Brandon Yuchasz

I was surprised no one had started the thread yet this month so here is my contribution.

I have lots on my bench but most of it are decoys for other people many of which are members here so a lot I don't want to show until after they arrive at the new homes.

What I can show are these two pairs of Redheads that are now down in Illinois with Tim and Jim. I was lucky enough to get to hunt with them last season in December and had a blast. The coolest part is seeing their all hand carved rig for layout gunning. Knowing these four will be joining those rigs puts a huge smile on my face.

Please excuse how washed out the pictures are I took them in direct sunlight. Decoys are hollowed cedar, painted in oils and rigged for hunting with pad weights. They were a new pattern I developed recently trying to put low tails on the drakes and rework a traditional bobtail for the hens.

2014-09-01-Decoys-057.jpg

2014-09-01-Decoys-097.jpg

Folks the photos don't do these birds justice. They are terrific and look even better in the water. Thanks Brandon!

I'm working on some BBs. If they turn out well, I'll send you a pair.

Tim

Hey Brandon, Nice Job! I like the low drop tails on the drakes. Bet they sit nice and flat on the water!

I haven't made anything from cork for years, but here is the start of a burnt cork Black Ducks to hunt over with my Daughter. They will be hers one day.

In keeping with Teal season here's a pair of Green-wings. Just before I snapped this pic a small Flock of Blue wings jumped from the pond!

Last but not least my most exciting addition is not on the bench but under it. Here's a new little addition that just came to her new home.

Meet Brook.

Beautiful GWT Jode. And congrats on the new pup. She looks like a keeper. Will she be making an appearance at Tuckerton?

Chad A

I haven't made anything from cork for years, but here is the start of a burnt cork Black Ducks to hunt over with my Daughter. They will be hers one day.

Cork....sweet! Jode's slumming it...I like it!

Chuck

Cork....sweet! Jode's slumming it...I like it!

Chuck

Yea, I guess I am! Something about the burnt cork blacks, just so simple,yet elegant......

Chad , Brook may take the ride to tuckerton with me. Won't know until closer to the show. It might be a long day sitting there for a young pup.

Pat, Loving the teal rig. Its that time of year!

Jode, I love those teal as well. I am really liking the newer style paint you have been developing lately.

Brandon~

Sweet Redheads! I've got one on the bench right now - a Sleeper Drake - and I think your birds will inspire me to get out my graining combs.

All the best,

SJS

Thanks Brandon, you know I love teal and I have found a couple new honey holes for them this fall. Hopefully they show up like they are supposed too!

Brandon, all I can say is that the redheads in your area better watch out after you put those beautiful redheads in the lake. Great looking decoys.
That one shot of the four of them is really nice.
Al

Speaking of slumming, any stitching going on??? pg

Nope, no fancy stitchery.

Here are the 2 dozen coot I finished before the float at Dave's a couple weeks ago:

B5021369-AF53-483A-911F-E83E061B05DE.jpg

That got me in a teal mood too...so I cut our 6 teal plus a pair of Moakish cans...got to plane down some bottom and tail board material:

380823CA-D5AF-4267-A731-64027B237FCA.jpg

Then while cleaning the garage, I found two blocks of Mark's cork that I was saving for teal, so looks like I'll go with 8:

41051D7A-EE84-418F-9DC9-5156DDC1536D.jpg

Jode, I wait with baited breath to see those Blackduck take shape

Chuck

Nice teal Jode!

My much poorer attempt at the September teal theme. 11x14 acrylics.

bluewings_zps67976407.jpg

Tim

Back