What have I got and what would you do?

Shawn Hollis

I found this "duck canoe" on CL and got it for a song. This is the only picture I have right now but will get some more this evening. I did dig into the foam and found an ant colony so I treated for those before continuing. It has been patched a couple times and the guy thinks maybe the spud pole holes seep a little still. I am thinking of sheathing the entire bottom, make a new false floor (the one it had was rotted) paint it and use it. I really would like to know the brand if anyone has a guess. last question, the top of the combing has some kind of trim, rubber around metal like you might see on automotive doors. Anyone know what that is called? I would like to replace it as it has seen better days. It also had at one time a transom board that allowed the use of a motor.Thanks in advance. It is the not so crappy one on the right. LOL

Shawn,
Years ago, we tested different edge trims and found Trim-Lok to be the best. We buy it wholesale but you should be able to find it retail and marine supply houses.
There are 3 different sizes we use, depending upon the thickness of the fiberglass edge, i.e. scull boat cockpit edge, layout boat outer edge..etc.
Lou

Lou,
You are the man! That is exactly the stuff! Not sure I need 250ft. from their website but I think I found a place that sells by ten foot lengths. I am going to measure to get the right fit before I order.

First time ever posting here because I never had anything to offer until now.... I actually bought the same boat (along with matching pair of Evinrude Lightwin 3hp weedless motors) this morning. It's a Melges Marsh Boat, Built by Harry Melges in Zenda Wisconsin.... He is most famous for building racing sailboats apparently. My boat still has the USCG plate on it. 2 persons 2hp, or 360lbs total. Strange coincidence because it's a relatively obscure boat.

Lingo,
You too are the man! Glad to have something for you to post about. Honestly I hardly ever feel like I have much to contribute but read almost daily through the posts. From washing machine repair to camo techniques this is the place. I was thinking one of the old duck twins would be a good mate. I am on the hunt again. Thanks to all!

After looking at the only image on google, that happens to be on Eric's site and I called myself looking through all of those pics. I see it should have oarlocks. Do yours have them Lingo? could you post a picture?

Yes I've got oar locks and a motor plate. I'll try and post some pictures when I get home from work in the morning. That is of course depending on what my wife does when she gets home and finds another boat in the garage.

Lou,
You are the man! That is exactly the stuff! Not sure I need 250ft. from their website but I think I found a place that sells by ten foot lengths. I am going to measure to get the right fit before I order.

Happy to help. If you can't find it locally, we have a couple rolls in stock:
#100B-3
#100B-8
I would have to check sizes to see what each one is for...since I don't recall at the moment.....doh. ;)
One of them is for the inside cockpit of the Brant II and the other was for the inner edge of the Whistler layout.
Lou

That's crazy......my neighbor bought the same exact kind of boat (even with the rubber trim) at a barn sale this weekend. Had no clue what it was ......now I can let him know. Needs a new transom board as well........

here's his

Last edited:
Here is another option. This is one of my favorite sources for boat related items:

Thttp://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/moulding/2,477,101.html

The one thing I see on gross inspection: No drain tubes running down the keel at the junction with each of the bracing ribs. You are obligated to put a removable false floor in to direct water to the gunnels, as well as level the deck for ease of movement of the occupants.

Well I wanted to update y'all on the progress of the marsh boat I ended up with last month. I had to do several repairs to the glass and ended up running a new strip of cloth all the way down the keel. I then sealed the bottom with a product made by Rhino Linings we use at work to seal fiberglass tanks from the inside so they do no leak after getting stress cracks. I figured if it worked for that it would seal up a boat nicely. I had decided to go with a camo scheme when I repainted that resembled Nat Gear. I base coated then dulled it down with flat brown spray paint and spotted nutmeg color blotches.

Then I started stenciling

I had to fabricate a new floor since the one in it was rotten. I went two piece for ease of removal. Just quarter inch ply and cedar/ pine supports.

Then stenciled it too, but will probably cover with the GI mats.

I opted to do away with the board in the transom since most pictures I found of these they had long rotted as had this one. I filled with epoxy and sanded smooth.

I was able to find the edge banding material from McMaster Carr and it really made the edge of the ammo boxes and combing nice.

It floats real nice and is very stable. I hope to add the obligatory blood shot later this fall when our season opens. thanks for looking and for the help on figuring out what I had.

Shawn,
Looks real nice.
I had to pause when I read your color choices,,,,,,,,," I base coated then dulled it down with flat brown spray paint and spotted nutmeg color blotches. "
"Nutmeg" sounds like a lady's color choice, but if that works for you, who am I to argue. ;>) ;>)

Thanks Dave! And I know it sounds girly but nutmeg literally was the color name I chose while at wallyworld trying to find a spray paint to use LOL.

Back