Duck boat camo wraps

We have tried those and they have worked really well... We camo dipped a shotgun and some duck calls. Looks like a pro did it...

We have tried those and they have worked really well... We camo dipped a shotgun and some duck calls. Looks like a pro did it...

Got any pics? I've been looking at them and wondering. I have one gun that is dipped, but I never liked the color.

they use 3M vinyl that has been top coated - this is a good thing. I would ask if their vinyl sheets use 3M Control Tac (spell) technology (I think this is what it is called - can't recall exactly). This basically puts a diamond pattern in the adhesive so that when you go to apply the vinyl, the air has channels to escape. Significantly less (if any) air entrapemnt that you have to deal with. Very easy o use. If no Control Tac, these large sheets can be difficult to apply correctly.

Mark W

they use 3M vinyl that has been top coated - this is a good thing. I would ask if their vinyl sheets use 3M Control Tac (spell) technology (I think this is what it is called - can't recall exactly). This basically puts a diamond pattern in the adhesive so that when you go to apply the vinyl, the air has channels to escape. Significantly less (if any) air entrapemnt that you have to deal with. Very easy o use. If no Control Tac, these large sheets can be difficult to apply correctly.

Mark W

The way way we did large area vinyl decals when I was at ITW was spray the surface with water then start the sheet from the bottom edge working up with a burnishing tool while adding water to the surface. The water helped to disburst air from being trapped then run a heat gun over the decal. If you had any air bubbles they were small. We'd pop the air bubble with a straight pin and apply heat which would push the air out of the pin hole. The heat would heat shrink the material tight.

That is old school technology Ed. The new control tac (I believe this is the correct name) allows the trapped air to escape through the channels in the adhesive as pressure is applied to the vinyl. Very slick.

Best way to apply is to use a 10% IPA/Water solution verses straight water or a water/soap mixture.

Mark W

by IPA I assume we are talking isopropyl alcohol, because while I am not an IPA guy as I prefer Stouts and Porters, I think most would be hard pressed to water one down even for the sake of duck hunting. :)

OK, to add something perhaps useful to my otherwise sidetrack, take a look at this post on Duck Hunt Chat, a guy a know from NJ tried some camo wrap on his aluminum jon boat. he posted his progress and results.

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=168333

Chad A

I have. Pretty easy. I used soap an water. Lasted about 7 years before I re-did the boat. Pretty ratty by then, but would have lasted several more years.

Just a follow-up. This guy hasn't logged in since his second post on oct 22. Looks like some hit-n-run spam, so take his statement about how well the drip works with a grain of salt.

T

I used to install these for a living.

I never cared for the big chunks of repeating pattern in the print. It's all I see when I look at a Camo wrap. Gotta think it sticks out to birds...then if you brush in well, it might not be an issue.

We did not offer our usual guarantee on longevity when we did boat wraps. We did have at least one report of adhesive failure while one of our boats was on the water. Whole side of the wrap just peeled right off.

We learned, and used more 3M adhesive primer in key areas on future wraps. This is key. With all the compound shapes of an aluminum or production glass bass boats, etc, this primer really seemed to help keep the edges of the vinyl tacked down. Once an edge goes, water uses those same micro channels that eliminate air bubbles...seeps in and gets to work persuading the vinyl that life was better before it was stuck to a boat.

If you want to try one, I have plenty of experience and could advise. Some thoughts:

1. Two people working together makes a big difference.

2. Use 3M's adhesive primer in low spots, where the vinyl stretches, and on all edges.

3. Order a print with a flat matte lamination. Don't do one with no lamination layer.

4. Self-igniting propane torch. Better than a heat gun. Just keep it moving.

5. Those felt squeegees they want to sell you with them? Get two. I liked the half moon shape best.

Finally, order it all at once. We subbed out printing on a couple of these and extra panels ordered to match were off on color. Same pattern, same vendor, wildly different colors printed.

Back