Duck stamp

Yup, we all know it was needed and why, but will it impact the already decreasing number of waterfowl hunters? I guess we will have to wait and see...

With as much as we spend on guns, gear, ammo, decoys, etc; I certainly hope a $10 increase would not cause someone to hunt. Hopefully the additional fee/tax will be used wisely. I don't mind paying it, I just don't want to see it shoveled into some other kitty and not be used for its intended purpose. But then, we all probably feel that way.
Chad A

As fees I pay the government go, I'd say the allocation of duck stamp money to appropriate uses is as good as it gets.

98% goes to purchase or lease duck habitat.

about three nice shot reloads ;-)

I don't have an issue with it- even if i did not hunt we like to drive through the refuge and watch the eagles

but unfortunately - there are folks that the cost of a stamp matters- too bad there is not a way to help them out

between the cost of non tox and all- those folks have likely given it up already.

4.5 million dollars was spent on a local NWR visitor information center. Does that forecast the future? The hunters foot the bill to educate the non hunting public, and those that use the NWR for no waterfowl hunting purpose. Seems like improvements in those areas, not habitat are being made while the 50 year old plus hunters keep hunting. Deer hunters, small game hunters, fisherman and bird watchers can use the refuge without buying a Duck Stamp. I do not mind paying my fair share, and have done so for many years. When will others step up and help pay the bills? Years ago I remember you could not enter some NWR's without a Duck Stamp. Does that still apply?

Freeloader - a person who imposes on others for free food, entertainment, etc. The Random House Dictionary of the English Language

My experience in working government programs leads me to believe the impending reduced federal budget means the USF&WS will have a smaller budget, like the rest of us. To offset the decrease they can generate some of their own funds (called non-appropriated funds since they are not appropriated by congress from your tax dollars) by raising the federal duck stamp price. It's either that or reduce staffing and services. I can't remember the last time the Fed stamp went up and am happy to pay what seems like an inflation adjustment.

4.5 million dollars was spent on a local NWR visitor information center.

Vince--was that duck stamp money? If so, we ought to complain. That's not what it's meant for. Many refuges don't have distinct boundaries, but on those that do, there is generally a fee to enter them, unless you can show a current duck stamp.

Duck stamp funds can only be spent on acquisitions of land or easements. Construction of visitor centers or other buildings comes through money appropriated by Congress.

Vince, I have met quite a few "birders" here at Bosque del Apache NWR that every year will buy a duck stamp. It is there way of helping the ducks just like we do and it is their pass to get into the refuges. I don't know if the number of birders doing this will make up for the difference of the loss in duck hunters but all of it helps since it (the funds) can only be used for land.

I'm glad this increase is finally taking place.
Al

Eric, The last increase was 1991, that year I bought a full size chevy for 13000.00 so I think your inflation analogy is correct. I buy 2 now so the increase is not an issue for me . I would gladly pay more.

Duck stamp funds can only be spent on acquisitions of land or easements. Construction of visitor centers or other buildings comes through money appropriated by Congress.

Really? No boat, vehicles, airplane, or other materials can be purchased from duck stamp money?

Eric, The last increase was 1991, that year I bought a full size chevy for 13000.00 so I think your inflation analogy is correct. I buy 2 now so the increase is not an issue for me . I would gladly pay more.

Kevin, your memory vastly exceeds mine. I didn't realize it had been that long ago. I buy two as well, one for me and one for Thomas even though he doesn't have to have one. I have a cigar box with every license and stamp I've ever purchased in it. Kind of cool looking back on them.

Really? No boat, vehicles, airplane, or other materials can be purchased from duck stamp money?

That is right. The only other allowed expense is a very limited amount for promotion of the program. Every land purchase or easement has to be approved by the Migatory Bird Conservation Commission, which includes 2 senators, 2 congressional members, and 3 members of the Cabinet. http://www.fws.gov/duckstamps/Info/Stamps/stamplaw.htmhttp://www.fws.gov/duckstamps/Conservation/mbcc.htm

Eric all of the other stuff from trucks to toilet paper are paid for by appropriated dollars from Congress.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff - The refuge has many supporters and I am uncertain of where the funds came from, as that was not stated in the newspaper article. The center is also the home base for the Great Lakes research, study, etc. at the federal level. It's a very nice place, but I liked the old one better, it seemed to pertain more to waterfowl, hunting, trapping and the role they played in the refuge. As the age of most waterfowlers increase, a lot of the interest, and support comes from the non hunting community. It only makes sense that the federal agency recognizes and responds to that.

Our buying two stamps was a great help, but does not address the underlying problem of growing the lifestyle we all love. True many birders do buy Duck Stamps, but I'd like to know the percentage?

Having visited and hunted on many NWR from Montana, to the East coast I have enjoyed them all. Knowing that I helped support them buying duck stamps since 1965 makes me feel good, and no doubt every waterfowler feels the same way. Historically We Did Good.

I hope the increase does indeed help insure their future. By the way the new Duck Stamp artist is from NY.

I have a cigar box with every license and stamp I've ever purchased in it. Kind of cool looking back on them.

Eric-

I have kept all of my licenses as well. My son enjoys looking at them. Unfortunately now they are all printed electronically from a machine and every year ours will be like green for NJ and bright yellow for PA. Not as exciting as they used to be. No actual NJ State duck stamp or trout stamp anymore either. Just a printed picture of a trout and words for the state stamp. Kind of sad.

Like you, I still buy my son a federal stamp despite the fact that he doesn't need one yet.

Chad A

My issue is not the $10 increase....but rather the 80% increase just because it hasn't changed in 23 years...

Back