Straying from the norm...Thanks Yukon Mike

Steve Steffy

I had a customer order a duck call while I was in Havre De Grace, MD last year. Well, it is a unique duck call that I haven't got around to doing yet. While I was over in Jersey hunting with Rich Young and Shawn Linn this past season my customer called and wanted me to make him an oyster hucker along with his duck call. I'm not one to back down from something new or challenging, so of course I said yes. I'll be working on the duck call this weekend, but here is the oyster shucker. This is my first finished "knife" of any sort. I contacted Yukon Mike to get some pointers on knife making and he was more than willing to offer any help he could - Thanks again Mike! I do still want to call you at some point. I have one heck of an idea for my next knife project...I'll be keeping the next one for myself though. Anyway, here she is...My first oyster shucker made with a bocote handle. I may have an oyster engraved on the back side of the blade to finish it off. I Have to go see my engraver on Monday anyway.

f2f26260-6803-4394-b37f-218e2866d9d3_zpsm023wekf.jpg

That came out really nice Steve. You may have to add them to your portfolio. I look forward to seeing the finished products you are working on for me.

Thanks Todd
Jode...the point is somewhat rounded and blunt, yet thin enough to be able to get the ball started to separate the halves. It actually has a sort of bevel or ramp in the center of the tip as well to assist with getting the halves apart.
Troy...Thank you sir, I'm looking to seeing some pics with that call of yours. I still have need to get some more calls posted up on here. Just not enough time in the day.
Shawn...Thank you too. I may dabble with these some more and offer them for sale once and a while. It was a nice distraction from the callmaking, I need that every once and a while. Your bands should be here on Monday or Tuesday. They were mailed out to me yesterday.

Thanks guys!
Steve

Thanks Mike...and thanks again for the help. Wait til you see the next one I have in mind! This knife making stuff is kind of fun. I have a great plan in my head, I just need to figure out how to bring it to fruition. I'll be in touch again when I have the material here.
Steve

Thanks Greg, I can certainly make another. I'm going to be ordering some more supplies for a knife I want to make for myself anyway. I'll shoot you over a PM with info.

Steve

Back