First time Turkey hunt

Zach Houvener

Just got back from a 6 day trip to NE Washington, where I tried my luck at hunting turkeys. This was my first time hunting the species and learned a lot about their habits, environment, and terrain while I was there. We pitched camp in a canvas wall tent in the Little Pend Oreille National Wildlife Refuge, and had a great time getting out of the "city". Had hens within 15 yards the whole trip but the boys didn't want to play. Oh well...

We came home empty handed but had a great time and will definitely be back for more. I did capture some good shots which I thought I would share. Was nice to hear the grouse drumming, deer snorting, and elk up in the Aspens!

What a neat state to call home.

Camp

First field we set up in

Our "backyard"

Another "almost dusk" shot

On the bank of the mighty Columbia River

After seeing Jode's post about the handmade box calls, I'm starting to draw up a pattern to cut one out for next time I'm in the woods!

Zach, I don't know whether to give you a "good luck" or "condolences" on the new hobby, ha! It consumes me like no other hobby and I'm a true duck-a-holic as well... Don't get discouraged and keep your current attitude and you'll be posting a "1st bird" post before you know it.

I'm sure you won't have nearly the learning curve but it actually took me 3 yrs to get my first turkey (started opener of 1994 season, killed one end of 1996 season) so I'm very jealous of folks that kill one on their first few times in the woods. :)

What a neat state to call home.

Boy you got that right. I'm afraid even as much as I like turkey hunting, that stream would have me standing in it casting a line before long. Turkeys and fresh fish, can't get much better than that.

Zach,

Glad to hear you have tried turkey hunting. It is a great way to spend spring mornings. Love the camp set up. Good luck as you dive more into turkey hunting!

Here I was feeling all sorry for you when you told me that you had to sleep in a wall tent in 20 degree weather.......you got a stove in that wall tent Buttercup......toughen up......
Gorgeous county up where you were....love that area.....you planning on going back for another try before the season is over?...

Steve

Back