Who hunts deer?

Paul W

This will be my first year hunting deer for real - I tried it once when I was 12, and it sucked (no deer) so I hung that up, and later got infected with duck hunting. My family never hunted, so I was never pushed back into it. Recently came into opportunity to hunt private land with a friend from work, which will give me an opportunity to use the inherited 30-06 my grandfather gave to me upon his passing. Just got done hanging the new (free - needed repair) ladder stand in my spot. Lots of sign, a rub, and plenty of buck tracks.

Just curious how many people do both deer/duck. I just want to shoot the first deer I legally can and get back to duck hunting, But I am also excited to try something new. I am particularly excited to use the heirloom.

paul

It's a rare & sad year when we don't have venison in the freezer. I like duck hunting better dogs toys and more social but I miss the week away in Maine that my school buddies and I used to do every year when we were younger. Pop up trailer in the heavy snow -- kerosene heaters, Keeping the toilet seat in the camper to keep it warm. Good friends, decent deer, and super memories. No reason not to enjoy both types of hunting.

Scott

Yep....walk out the back door and have about 200 acres of woods and fields to hunt. My family goes thru a lot of deer meat, so though I enjoy it, it's a necessary evil here. Ducks are my favorite, but deer fill the freezer.

I hunt Deer as well, started in high school with a bow.
Hunt with Bow, Pistol and Rifle in that order of preference.

Nothing better than a day in the woods.
But bird hunting always beats Deer hunting, larger bag limit and more time in the woods.

R.C.

Like Scott, I like duck hunting better but haven't missed a deer season since I was 12 years old. This year has been one of those years Scott talked about. I and my partner hunt the Mississippi river islands and we were froze out the week before deer season last year so no venison in the freezer. I set my stand this past Sunday and Archery starts Oct 1. This year sign is really good in my area and I can't wait. Then the end of Nov is our gun season. Hopefully we won't be froze out this year.

Last edited:
Paul,
My Dad made my brothers and I read this book before he would take us deer hunting. It's very helpful.

http://www.amazon.com/How-hunt-whitetail-deer-Hayes/dp/0498062775/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441221389&sr=8-1&keywords=how+to+hunt+the+whitetail+deer

Last edited:
Deer hunting and waterfowling have always gone hand in hand in my life. Scouting and hunting for either, most times will open your eyes to new hunting places. Venison IS a main staple in our family as long as I can remember. I hunt deer for food and enjoyment. Waterfowl hunting not so much anymore for food, but for enjoyment. In 51 seasons I've most likely put myself way over the consumption advisory for waterfowl. Plus my cardiologist advises venison over waterfowl for our table. They also told me no dragging deer, or long hikes in waders with gear duck hunting. This advice I totally ignore, but do at my own pace. If I should keel over, what better place to happen.

Sight in that rifle, sharpen your knife and bring home the bacon. Enjoy yourself.

Just curious how many people do both deer/duck. I just want to shoot the first deer I legally can and get back to duck hunting, But I am also excited to try something new. I am particularly excited to use the heirloom.

paul

I always get jammed up in November trying to trap, hunt deer, ducks and geese. Usually I end up struggling to do them all well.
I've always wanted to shoot a "croncher" buck so that always ends up distracting me as I pass up buck after buck and this year I'm doing it different. I'm bowhunting October and then trapping and hunting waterfowl all Novermber. I have to resist because ducks rule!

A few years ago I did have to go out and shoot one with my late fathers 8x57JR German Drilling just because he has always talked about it and never got to do it. I still have that venison in the freezer so I either have to give it away or eat more! Good luck!

View attachment Pops deer 11.7 small.jpg

I always say I'm a "Duck Hunter", but a "deer shooter". By far I spend the most time, money and effort chasing webfooters, but I really enjoy eating venison! I just don't have the patience and or desire to spend all of the time in the woods.

Jon

Been chasing deer about 35 years. It is for meat and alone time in the woods. I do not bow hunt anymore because I would rather waterfowl hunt in my free time. A freezer full of deer or better yet a pantry full of canned deer is some good eating.

Last edited:
I'm not a deer hunter, though I do spend a few days each rifle season in the woods around the house. Everything around my house is owned by the local land trust, and it's pretty close to what passes for "downtown" here, so it gets hunted hard by the before and after work crowd. We get used to them parking up the hill at the trailhead before dawn, hunting down behind the house, and emerging in the field behind our house and looking sheepish. It's all public land right up to the edge of my yard, so they have no reason to feel bad. I always tell them they are welcome to the does that raid my late season greens in the garden so long as they shoot away from the house, and then they relax.

Lots of beech nuts here this year, which may suggest where to find the deer come November. I've been thinking more about deer this year--had the rifle out for testing ammo a few times in the last few weeks. I know a nice ridge line with lots of oak and beech, pretty handy to a cornfield, and far enough from the road that it will deter most of the casual hunters. I may have to see about getting a stand in there this year. If nothing else hunting that a few mornings a week would put some miles on my fat ass.

Mostly I like deer season because the marsh empties out.

I'm a "Duck Hunter", but a "deer shooter".

Yep. I don't deer hunt much anymore, used to quite a bit. But now if I go, which is maybe once a year, I am looking to pop the first legal deer that walks into view so I can get back to duck hunting.

Some times you can combine the duck and deer hunts, LOL.

10-7-06dananddeer1.jpg

Not many deer hunters left in Ga, we all sit over foodplots or feeders and simply wait for a deer to come to it. That's not hunting in my opinion.

More than once a nice buck has swam through my decoys to hide on a swamp tump, or island. As I mentioned ya hunt for one thing and find places to hunt the other. Many states no shooting Deer in the water.

A very good read about Deer Hunting on the ground is - Still-Hunting Trophy Whitetails with bow, rifle, shotgun & muzzleloader by Bill Vaznis. It's the way I have always hunted deer, but it's days are numbered I'm afraid. No more walking out the back door, or takin' a short drive to still hunt till yer hearts content (I have also hunted there). Wonderful times and long drags.

I love deer hunting. Actually grew up hunting small game and deer, not ducks. It wasn't until I was in my late 20's that I start duck hunting. Anyway, like others here, a venison filled freezer is a great start to winter. I recently (spring of 2014 had a wood lot parcel thinned out and the deer were all through it by November. I'm really looking forward to see what this fall has in store. Safe seasons!

The landing created by the harvest.

My opening day buck

Dinner that night!

And some venison stew.

Back