Good snipe hunting on the east coast?

David Stern

Hello:
I was looking to get into some Snipe this year. My grandma used to live in TX and was had many a good Snipe hunt there. Are there any areas on the east coast east of St Louis that get a good concentration of Snipe? We cannot hunt snipe here in NY. I am willing to travel. You can PM me if this is not the kind of info you want to post.
I was thinking the Carolinas with their lowlands and all that rain you got this year. Any thoughts would be great.
Thanks
Stern

Either.
I have snipe hunted before with great success without a guide. I prefer a non-guided trip. But if a guide is what is needed to get on the good real estate I would consider that too.
Stern

I can't put my hands on my copy, and it's a long time since I read it, but I think Worth Mathewson's book discussed some east coast snipe locations.

http://www.amazon.com/Reflections-S...&qid=1444706180&sr=1-5&keywords=snipe+hunting

I seem to recall Louisiana, Florida, and maybe South Carolina were discussed?

I know we see a few snipe in Maine. I see a few every year on Merrymeeting Bay, and a buddy says the Umbagog National Wildlife Refuge (a big shallow inland lake with extensive freshwater marsh around it) host a good population. I don't know anyone who has hunted them, though.

Last edited:
Fla and Coastal Ga have incredible Snipe shooting most years. You need access to flooded pastures which usually means local knowledge and a boat.
Fla is a long way to come for Snipe but if you come do it in Late January or February when the birds are far and headed north.

As you might imagine Louisiana and Texas have great hunting as well but I can't help you on those since all of snipe shooting in those states has been as a guest of someone that had them nailed down and the equipment to make it happen when I showed up

Look me up if you head South to Fla. If nothing else I can point you in the right direction...

Steve

Jeff:
I have Worth's book. It is a great read for anyone interested in Snipe and Snipe hunting.
I happen to be going up to Maine in 2 weeks to chase Woodcock. I might give Umbagog a try. I will be further south, near Fryberg area for Timberdoodles. I do not know if I am too early for the Snipe though.

Thanks

Stern

Steve:
I happen to go to Florida very often. I have a lot of family there. Miami, Palm Beach and Lakeland. I am usually down for New Years. I can come down even later if needed. I am guessing Snipe are going to be in the more northern part of the state but I know nothing.
Thank you

Stern

Central FL typically is quite outstanding for snipe. The Upper St. Johns River Basin is where I've done most of my snipe hunting at and is quite accessible if you have a boat. It definitely depends on water levels out there on where they'll be (close to the river or in pastures). In lower water years you can walk the edges of lakes and usually do well in the mud if you don't have a boat to run the river.

I will not have a boat. Or I will have to rent a boat if that is what is neccesary. I will have to ask the relatives if anyone has any pasture land.

There is a big flock here, that I keep missing in southwest mi. I got one sunday and shot at 9 monday and 4 today harder to kill than woodcock. But tastier.

Hello Dave. Snipe is open throughout New York State north of NYC. The season runs 9/1 - 11/9. Although I've never hunted for them, I often flush them out of wet farmland. Any pasture, hay field, or cropland that is ponding water could hold a few. They seem to hang around until the puddles freeze up solid. I do keep an eye out for them when walking into my duck hunting spots. I did shoot one once that way, thought it had a rather "earthy" flavor.

John
I must have been mistaken on the Snipe in NY. Maybe there is no Rail Hunting in NY.
If you see a good concentration up by you, if you don't mind, give me a ring. I am training a new dog and would love to get him on some Snipe and duck too.
Thanks for the clarification on NY Snipe.
David

I'll try to remember to give you a shout when I start seeing them. They may be here now, but I usually see them between late October and mid-November.

Back