Jumping Jack Flash aka Jackie Boy

mike braden

Well, I guess we all know that this day is coming. even when our pups are 8 weeks old. We know that it's coming because a dog's life is short...way too short. I don't know why they can't live longer like a lot of other animals. Just doesn't seem fair....

Jack was my first hunting dog. With my son being 16 months and a daughter due in two weeks, a lab seemed like the perfect dog to have as part of the family. And perfect he was. Everyone loved Jack. He was so calm and friendly. Like most labs, he loved everyone. I had a lot of first with Jack. First goose, first band (which he retrieved), first Grouse, first ducks - multiple species.

I'm not a fan of long stories or long good-byes. I'd like to share a few pic.....and know that I feel each and everyone's pain with the loss of their best friends. I miss Jack terribly....there's never a dry eye when I look at a photo of him. RIP Jackie Boy. I love You....fetch 'em up.

[inline]

Hunting the Barnegat Bay

[inline ]

Jack and Kyle placed 2nd in their division at the Tuckerton Gunning and Decoy show Dock jumping contest.

[inline ]

No words.....A very special heartfelt thanks for Steve Lessel for taking this photo. It sits in my office where I look at it everyday.

Jack's last retrieve and a BB hen that Kyle shot. I thank God that we saved this bird and we are doing a tribute mount to Jack with it. He was so happy holding that duck...[inline]

Last edited:
So sorry to hear of your loss Mike. It's never easy, and always hard to find comforting words.

You have some great photos to remember him by.

My thoughts and prayers.

Jon

Sorry to hear that Mike. Jack looks like he had a great home and family! The good memories definitely stick around, and do summon up a few tears.

Thanks all. Pictures are still hard to look at times. Kinda weird when you're shedding a tear in grief but smiling in joy at the same time??

A noted dog authority, writer friend of mine once quipped- "if dogs lived as long as we do, we would only have the joy of loving one or two in our lifetimes". Yet, I haven't decided if that's really good or bad.

Cherish your memories. The WILL last forever. Trust me.

Jon

Mike, so very sorry for your and the family's loss. Great photos. Upon the death of each of my partners I try to remember this poem;

THE BEST PLACE TO BURY A DOG
by Ben Hur Lampman

"There is one best place to bury a dog.
"If you bury him in this spot, he will
come to you when you call - come to you
over the grim, dim frontier of death,
and down the well-remembered path,
and to your side again.

"And though you call a dozen living
dogs to heel, they shall not growl at
him, nor resent his coming,
for he belongs there.

"People may scoff at you, who see
no lightest blade of grass bent by his
footfall, who hear no whimper, people
who may never really have had a dog.
Smile at them, for you shall know
something that is hidden from them,
and which is well worth the knowing.

"The one best place to bury a good
dog is in the heart of his master."

Condolences again.

Best - Paul

Thank you all for taking the time to post. Paul - great poem. I'll be using it. Having a friend put together a short little video of pics and stuff. Can't wait to see it when it's done.

Back