Photo Backdrop for Decoys

Steve Sanford

PHOTO BACKDROP ~ A horizonless background for decoys – and other small items

see also on my site at: https://stevenjaysanford.com/a-photo-backdrop-for-decoys/

PBD%201-A_zpsbbyibsk5.jpg

PBD%201-B_zpszsjw8bgj.jpg

All~

I built my first curved photo backdrop in the early 80s. I still have it – it has served me well – but is showing its age. More important, the way I built it has caused recurring problems as long as I have had it. My goal with this new one is to minimize the maintenance AND have a way to both use and store it that suits my work habits and my shop.

The idea behind such a backdrop is to provide a background that visually isolates the subject and provides few distractions. Photographers have long used cycloramas – or "cycs" – with curved walls to avoid horizons or corners showing in the finished image. So, I used some 1/8-inch Masonite (tempered hardboard, MDF, et cetera) to give me the curve I needed. The mistake I made was to nail through the Masonite into the frame. Although I have tried a variety if ringed nails and the like – and patched the nail holes repeatedly – the nail heads would make themselves known after the inevitable handling and moving. The new one uses just glue to hold the Masonite to the frame.

Also, I have tried rolled paper and a variety of fabrics on my old backdrop – but always come back to paint. Dead flat mars very easily – so I am now using satin latex. I have found no objectionable shine and it does wear better than flat. Nevertheless, I assume I will have to roll on a fresh coat of paint once or twice per year. I have also experimented with colors and tones and am now trying a fairly bright, cool grey.

I am mostly excited about the new storage features. With 2 wood cleats on the frame – and 2 corresponding cleats on the big south door of my shop – my backdrop can now be used without additional support and also stores out of the way. I have been propping my old backdrop on saw horses, benches, trash cans and even the tailgate of my Honda Element. Now, I can film in artificial light or natural light with the backdrop mounted on the door – at a very convenient height.

I began making the frames with some 5/4 Mahogany – but any mostly clear wood will do; certainly 1-inch (actually 3/4-inch thick) is sufficient. The "floor" is a bit longer than the "back wall". The 1/8-inch Masonite will take a 16-inch radius bend without breaking. I cut the Masonite 40 inches wide by 48 inches long.

I used 1/2-inch birch plywood for the "knees" that join the floor and back wall frames. I laid out my curved cut by drawing a full-size pattern on paper and then marking it on the plywood. Its best to rough out – cut them oversize - the 2 pieces of plywood with a jig saw and then stack them for the final cuts. I glued them (Titebond II) in 3 spots outside of the cut lines and then sawed them to the final lines on the band saw after the glue set.

I clamped each plywood knee to its 2 frame pieces and fastened them with Titebond and my pneumatic stapler.

PBD%201_zpsgrhztdnv.jpg

The cleats are all beveled on the table saw – approximately 45 degrees – so they will mate and gravity will hold the backdrop to the wall.

PBD%202_zpsxqjwkmcw.jpg

Two 2 frame cleats are screwed-and-glued to the back of the frame – the bottom one with the "mouth" upward and the top one with the "mouth" downward. The 2 wall cleats are screwed to the door with both mouths upward.

PBD%204_zpsemetths3.jpg

PBD%203_zps3ycgl43k.jpg

PBD%205_zps1i0rmkb3.jpg

PBD%206_zpsz9flbkn0.jpg

I used Elmer's version of Gorilla Glue – a polyurethane glue – to fasten the Masonite to the frames. The glue and its water are applied to just the flat parts of the legs and then clamped with blocks and deep-throated clamps. The front stiffener just needs spring clamps. I let the glue cure overnight.

PBD%207_zps8wkkl1al.jpg

I rounded the 4 corners of the Masonite because damage there is almost a certainty – and then lightly sanded the surface with 100-grit.

PBD%209_zpsoy0pjaq1.jpg

I then rolled on one coat of paint – surprised that a second coat was not needed on the raw board.

PBD%208_zpspa5v2r1f.jpg

PBD%2010_zpshthg9zso.jpg

Photography was a real improvement. At 44 inches above the floor, I could get both true profile shots and also those looking a bit downward. For the artificial light, I have a single LED flood in one of my recessed fixtures. (I am gradually upgrading all of my CFLs to daylight value LEDs.)

PBD%2012_zpsejfv3ypw.jpg

PBD%2014_zpsxrewexjv.jpg

PBD%2013_zpsqfqxiao9.jpg

I often photograph my birds in the diffuse natural light to early morning or late afternoon. To do so, I can now just swing the door open – set the cane bolt into the ground – and move my tripod outside.

PBD%2015_zpso13sp2wl.jpg

PBD%2016_zpspbij565n.jpg

PBD%2017_zps1iwqpm9u.jpg

When not in use, the backdrop is up and out of the way – and even lets the ceiling light do its job.

PBD%2018_zpszi3kyyzy.jpg

PBD%2011_zpswxx0shob.jpg

Hope this is useful,

SJS

I'm finding this much more interesting than "This Old House" that we watch each week. Thanks Steve.
Al

Incredible. I have been looking at other designs to accomplish the same result

And here you come along with the perfect simple solution

Wonder if I can stretch the size enough to photograph double guns

Steve. Your willingness to share your knowledge and ingenuity with the board is greatly appreciated

Great idea! Will put it on my list,which is unfortunately very long. I like fact that it's easily stored and doesn't take any shelf or table space. Another fantastic idea from Steve.

I'm finding this much more interesting than "This Old House" that we watch each week. Thanks Steve.
Al

I agree with Al.
I do wish I lived close by, you'd have a 59 yo apprentice or groupie. Lol

Best - Paul

Rick~

You certainly could make one wide enough for doubles. It needs to be quite a bit wider than the length of the guns themselves - to account for the angle "seen" by your lens.

I photographed all my pieces several years ago. I used painted canvas laid across my "cyc". Background color and lighting take some trial and error to get what you want. (I no longer own this M70 Featherweight....)

2%20-%20Model%2070%20-%20RH%20view%20-%20small_zpsm96phrp9.jpg

SJS

very nice ! something else to add to my list..i was wondering how everyone else's pics turned out so well. Thanks for posting

Good morning, Pete~

As you know, you and your decoys are always welcome here - especially if you "forget" one of those Blacks or Broadbills when you head back south....

All the best,

SJS

All~

I just added another feature to my indoor photo setup. I had long thought of some sort of diffuser to soften the shadows on the birds. Luckily, the local food co-op - where my wife is Board President - just upgraded their ceiling fixtures to new LED units. The old diffuser panels from the fluorescent fixtures beckoned to me from their berth next to the dumpster....

So, I made 2 cleats to hold the 12-inch section of diffuser panel in place. I can slide it right out if need be. I even bored a hole in it so I can hang it out of the way.

Light%201_zps6jlxzmvx.jpg

Light%202_zpsrnod92d2.jpg

Light%203_zpsy6nuvyve.jpg

The shadows are still fairly well-defined. But, it's a big improvement and I like the more dramatic effect than I get outside. Since I have enough panel left for 3 more, I may experiment covering some with fabrics or paints, et cetera.

Light%204_zpsdabloya5.jpg

Light%205_zpswn7olf8b.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Very nice Steve, I like it.
Years ago, we did a lot of field testing and promotion for Starcraft Corporation (Goshen, Indiana). We used and tested their 14' jon boat extensively for guiding and fishing.
All of our work was though Steve Tracey, who was then vice president of marketing & communication for Starcraft and photographed all 13 of their catalogs and all their ads.
Their set-up was unbelievable. They had a very large room with a completely seamless background, even in the corner. They would bring truckloads of sand in, trees, bushes and pipe in gas to set up a camping scene to showcase their campers.
It was an impressive room as they could photograph any of their products in there and create the background or scenery they wanted.
Lou

Back