Ducks in school

This is a fun story. There was an enclosed courtyard at my high school and there was a mallard that was there, but the little ones never made it. Maybe nobody figured out that you had to let them out of the courtyard.

True story.

My Wife works as the Guidance office secretary at Streetsboro High School in Streetsboro, Ohio. For as long as she can remember, every year a hen Mallard has nested in the "building locked" school courtyard. The only access is thru the school. Here is a pic she took several years ago when that exact same thing happened in the spring.

(I apologize for the grainy pics. These were taken before phones were actually "cameras").

imagejpeg_0_5.jpg

IMG_3292.jpg

Of note, until she showed an interest, (imagine that- from a woman married to a Duck Hunter), these little ducklings would mysteriously disappear. Most probably from a haw, owl or crow.

But one year, several years ago, one of the custodians admitted to catching and killing all the little fellas. That prompted an immediate visit from the local Wildlife Officer. He took names and statements, but unfortunately couldn't really do anything because of lack of evidence. (I wonder who made the call, I did give up the number, but no one would own up to the actual phone call).
Now it's become a big annual thing where the students will actually line the hall as as the ducks walk by.

Jon

Last edited:
Chuck, thanks for fixing the link. If you scroll down to the comments there is a link to a video.

Really enjoyed the story and photo's, brought back memories.

Hen Mallard had a brood in the grassy parking lot divider in front of the store I worked in. Problem was, the pot hole she needed to get to was behind the plaza. She was beside herself trying to get her ducklings to water.

Our store was to big for her to navigate, but the Sprint Store next door was a straight shot to the pot hole. We convinced that store manager to open the doors, back away and let the hen and her brood pass on through.

It worked just fine. I still smile about that...

There are no dumb animals, just dumb people

Back