Rooster! NDR -- updated 1-1-2017

Amazing film! Thanks for sharing, really a treat to watch a couple of good dogs at work.

I've been following this thread all fall when I had internet, but haven't posted a thanks. Lot of fun pics and videos here, I hadn't watched the videos, but have now. Pretty fun to watch the pup work and some nice looking areas to hunt.

Tod,
I was starting to wonder if you didn't like upland birds and wide open country any more. I was hoping to run into some grouse, I know they would catch your interest but I haven't been so lucky. I need to get just a little farther west to have a better chance.

Tim

I've been following this thread all fall when I had internet, but haven't posted a thanks. Lot of fun pics and videos here, I hadn't watched the videos, but have now. Pretty fun to watch the pup work and some nice looking areas to hunt.

Tod,
I was starting to wonder if you didn't like upland birds and wide open country any more. I was hoping to run into some grouse, I know they would catch your interest but I haven't been so lucky. I need to get just a little farther west to have a better chance.

Tim

No, I have just been keeping busy on the road - no disrespect to you. I just got back a week ago and am trying to get settled (and deer and duck hunt). Sad to say that I did zero real pheasant hunting this year other than to push some stocked areas for pheasants for Gus. I could really use a grassland trip, especially after watching those videos of yours.

I'm not sure if this is like Craig's "In your face", maybe more like "At your feet."
No crop, just very close to a 170° lens. Deuce pinned this rooster right next to the edge of the cover.
This is really what it's all about when hunting with a pointy dog. Love the feeling of a bird getting up at my feet.

deucepin.jpg_zpsvqc1smu3.jpg

deucepin2.jpg_zpsi58u7cgm.jpg

After watching a bunch of birds kick on the afterburners going with the wind this one flew right back into it. I was a little quick on the shot.

deucepin3.jpg_zps96hyhp8o.jpg

At least Deuce only had to make one retrieve to bring it back.

12-11-7_zpsrrbhia45.jpg

We saw a lot of birds but the conditions made for tough videoing.
5 of us ended up 3 birds short. Not bad at all for this area.

20161211_164957_zpsmi2q2vc7.jpg

My nephew in law knows one of the guys who has a brother to Deuce. He and Max came along with us. It was interesting seeing how different the two of them are. I'm happy that Deuce doesn't have the burr issues that Max does.

20161211_182431_zpscgxaydyz.jpg

Looks like it might be close to Christmas before we get out again. I'm not a big fan of hunting in the cold. It dropped from 20 down to 12 while we were hunting yesterday. That and the wind kicked my butt.

Tim

Last edited:
One last photo for the season.
It ended today with just one rooster. We had quite a few points on hens but just couldn't find more roosters.
I'm not a big fan of pheasant hunting in the cold. Today was a pleasant low 30s so it was a good day for the end. Only 278 days until SD's resident opener. Not that I'm thinking about that already. Deuce and I have plenty of work to do in the off season.

20170101_154314_zpsxfm9wplu.jpg

Just a helpful tips for those who are videoing their hunts. BACK THEM UP RIGHT AWAY! I was going to only back up the videos that had some action in them so was waiting until the end of the season to sort through. Well last week the computer died. Ugh...been too busy with family stuff so I still have hopes it is the motherboard and not the hard drive. This sucks worse then if I had never had them at all.

Tim

You lose power over Christmas Tim? We lost it for about 8 hours in DeSmet and my brother-in-law went over a week up in Millbank. We a tough ride home on the 26th with off and on white out conditions.

Never got out to hunt. It wasn't pleasant during the time we were there. I did hear the slough on family land was a duck hotspot this year.

Mark W

My pudelpointer Rufus is of the long hair version his coat similar to Max and yes after every hunt we pick,pull and comb. It is more of a bonding experience,he loves the attention.

Tim,

Thanks for bringing us along. This is one of my favorite times of the year to hunt pheasants. Nothing like a stiff wind with a little snow in to sting your cheek and encourage to roosters to hold tight to cover.

Tom

Mark
I'm far enough south that we were warm the whole time it was raining. I think it got over 40 for a while. No ice and no power outages here. I'm surprised with how the wind blew we didn't have more branches down
I was suppose to go hunting last Monday morning but woke up to that wind and cold...I didn't need that.

Bill
I'd have trouble going to a longer coated dog now, I really like my slick. If I do get another one I'm going to be very careful about coat selection. If I duck hunted more or hunted more rugged cover I might opt for more coat. He does get beat up a little.

Deuce has figured out a way to bond with me even without burrs. :) Each evening when he come in from his last time out he sits down right inside the door. He won't move until I give him a neck rub and back massage. The dog would love a pet masseuse.
These German dogs do have a tendency to crave contact.

Tim

Those pictures were fantastic, Tim. What a wonderful hunt and to have dogs do what they do best. You trained Deuce perfectly.
Al

Back