Building an Aluminum BBIII - what modifications would you make circa 2017

Troy Brown

Hi all.... I own an original Gus Heinrich BBSB and have decided it is too small for my 6'1" 290lb frame.... after much research, and looking at a buddy's BBII, I've landed on the BBIII.

What I'd like to learn for all of you who have built a BBII or a BBIII is what modifications would you make to the Devlin design?

FWIW, I spoke to Sam Devlin today and he indicated he felt that under the NEW Coast Guard rating system, he thought the BBIII would be rated for up to a 40HP.

I'll use this for duck hunting primarily, shooting over stern. But I like the idea of the OPTION to shoot over one side with a buddy. And finally (hope this is not sacrilege), I'll use the boat in spring/summer for fishing.

So given all of that info, what would you do to the BBIII given your BBII or BBIII experience?

Thank you -

Troy

No problem. I intend to post pictures and updates of the entire journey. John Kuhn is the aluminum boat builder on this one. We start in February. Right now, I'm scouring this site and talking to buddies to identify all modifications I might want to make and/or features I want to add. here's my running list so far:

1. running lights
2. add grass rails (obviously)
3. cockpit hatch cover with latches
4. side shelves transom to bulkhead
5. 2 pole mount seat brackets on floor (for spring / summer fishing)
6. handles (2 on bow - 1 with SS ring for anchor rope, plus back left, back right)
7. bow eye hole for trailer winch
8. cleats (location tbd)
9. wood combing around cockpit edge (my hands will go here a lot, aluminum is cold in NH)
10. Welded pole mount brackets (all 4 corners of cockpit, to erect poles and run camo between for 'shoot over side' application)

NOT DOING
1. gun rack

THINKING ABOUT

1. flapper doors (for shoot over side applications)

A couple comments....

I think you might be surprised how small the cockpit size is and low they are - use as a fishing boat might not work like you imagine. They fill up fast too. a 14 foot aluminum boat is a lot better for fishing and is spacious in comparison.

Good on the gun racks. Think about an under side deck shelf or two. Having them back from the combing keeps them dry and everyone who has them says how convenient they are.

Hard side flapper boards would be really nice. To do it again on my snowgoose, I'd come up with a slick way to do it so they laid flat and tight to the deck when down.

Agreed on fishing. This is a duck boat first. The fishing priority will have to bow down in front of the duck hunting priority.

John and I are thinking 1/8" (11 gauge) but he offered a 3/16" (7 gauge) option. By definition, that would increase weight by 50%. Then again, it's a metal boat so I'm not sure 'more weight' means anything... it's already heavy. But I'm not sure 1 sqft of 3/8" marine plywood with glass over it is that much lighter than 1 sqft of 1/8" aluminum.

I'd like input on this actually: 1/8" or 3/16"? What do you think and why?

One argument I might make (though I'm not 100% sure it's true): is that a BBIII has a water displacement of X lbs that results in a safe capacity of Y lbs for people, motor, gear, dog, battery, etc. Given that, it would seem a heavier boat with the same displacement would result in LESS capacity; in other words, going with 3/16" and increasing the weight of the boat by 50% would decrease the capacity for people and gear. Looks like it is about an extra 44lbs per 12'x4' sheet, so 3/16" is a 'cost' of 150lbs of gear or one small buddy. Given I'm already 290lb of that capacity, it would seem prudent to not make it worse. So i'm gravitating towards choosing 1/8". Do you guys agree?

Then again, one of my main reasons for choosing aluminum is durability and 3/16" is more durable.

I agree on shelves. I'm thinking of running shelves along both sides from transom to bulk head.

Last edited:
I was looking at having a my Scaup made out of 3/16. I was looking at that, only because of durability. You would not need to make all of it with 3/16"

Don't have either boat but I would say 3/16 bottom and the short sides . Then the rest 1/8 . That way when you smoke that piece of ice that is floating just below the surface you can laugh while your buddy is panicking thinking he ends up being rose instead of jack(terrible titanic reference).

Tony

true.

where to use 3/16"?
definitely the hull.
probably all top side deck pieces.
transom.

everything else in 1/8"?

thoughts / your ideas?

Chris - are you thinking it impossible to provide enough floatation in motor well and bow to ensure the boat's survival were it to swamp?

nope I'm saying look for holes before you launch it. my aluminum broad bill had quite a few and i had a local welder (who is now back in Iowa) fix them. that guy could lay a stack of dimes.

I don't see a reason to the top deck. My only reason was for protection and durability if I hit stone or logs. Instead, I saved $4500 and went stitch and glue and put 20 oz of cloth on it....

I don't see a reason to the top deck. My only reason was for protection and durability if I hit stone or logs. Instead, I saved $4500 and went stitch and glue and put 20 oz of cloth on it....

ok on top deck. My thinking was me walking around on / over it.... re: 'go wood'... i'd sure like to do so, but i don't have time to build it... in a few years, i'll build one....

Troy~

When calculating buoyancy, remember that wood floats (less dense than water) whereas aluminum sinks (denser than water) - so you may need more flotation.

All the best,

SJS

ok on top deck. My thinking was me walking around on / over it.... re: 'go wood'... i'd sure like to do so, but i don't have time to build it... in a few years, i'll build one....

With proper bracing, I think 1/8" would be ample. We 1/8" for decking on cranes. You are a sizable man, so get some expert analysis on the deck supports that you will need. I am pretty sure you will not need bracing there as the span is only about a 12". The front deck would be the spot to watch.

Hi all.... I own an original Gus Heinrich BBSB and have decided it is too small for my 6'1" 290lb frame.... after much research, and looking at a buddy's BBII, I've landed on the BBIII.

What I'd like to learn for all of you who have built a BBII or a BBIII is what modifications would you make to the Devlin design?

FWIW, I spoke to Sam Devlin today and he indicated he felt that under the NEW Coast Guard rating system, he thought the BBIII would be rated for up to a 40HP.

I'll use this for duck hunting primarily, shooting over stern. But I like the idea of the OPTION to shoot over one side with a buddy. And finally (hope this is not sacrilege), I'll use the boat in spring/summer for fishing.

So given all of that info, what would you do to the BBIII given your BBII or BBIII experience?

Thank you -

Troy

Not sure what he meant by the New USCG motor requirements? but its pretty cut and dry how to determine HP rating for a boat.
boats with factor over 52.5 factor is boat length x transom width.

For tiller-steer boats with a flat bottom, like a jon boat: (W x L x 0.5) – 15 = max. horsepower

For all other tiller-steer boats: (W x L X 0.8) – 25 = max. horsepower

Length is 14ft but we need the width of the transom only. IT may just barely make 40hp 2 stroke rating. But using the formula above you can find out once you know the width of the transom.

Should be a fun build. enjoy

Not sure what he meant by the New USCG motor requirements? but its pretty cut and dry how to determine HP rating for a boat.
boats with factor over 52.5 factor is boat length x transom width.

For tiller-steer boats with a flat bottom, like a jon boat: (W x L x 0.5) – 15 = max. horsepower

For all other tiller-steer boats: (W x L X 0.8) – 25 = max. horsepower

Length is 14ft but we need the width of the transom only. IT may just barely make 40hp 2 stroke rating. But using the formula above you can find out once you know the width of the transom.

Should be a fun build. enjoy

So is a Devlin BBIII a flat bottom like a John Boat or not? my gut says not as flat, so no. So:

(5.37 x 14 x .8 ) - 25 = 35 HP

Where 5.37 is my best guess (for now) off scale drawings on line.

Other formula: (5.37 x 14 x .5 ) - 15 = 22 HP

does this rating imply 2 cyl or 4 cyl or do they care?

I didn't think there was a difference between 2 stroke and 4 stroke. I agree, 35 is what that will legally hold.

Back