Step 1 towards retirement

Mark W

My wife Diane and I have had a plan to retire by a certain age and find ourselves a little over a year away from our self appointed date. The past year or so we have been looking to purchase a cabin so we have a place to relax and a place the kids (and someday our Grandkids) would want to come and visit us. We set a few parameters (cost, type of cabin, what type of lake, what type of area, no more than 90 minutes from home, etc....) and started the process. We looked at a few cabins that were nice but just didn't seem to have that "feel" we were looking for. Right before Christmas a cabin went on the market that on paper seemed to have everything we were looking for. While we were deciding if we wanted to go look at it before we left for SoDak for Christmas, our realtor got a call saying an offer was made on the cabin. Off we went to take a peek.

Location was perfect. This place was on a chain of lakes covering about 5,000 acres total. One of the lakes in particular is known for fishing, especially ice fishing. There are also many smaller coves and marshes that are known to have early ducks hanging around. Checking a little more into the hunting scene it appeared to be more than just local ducks and early season hunting. Lots or nearby marshes and some nice flowage areas where late season ducks and geese stick around for a long time. Cabin is on Pokegama Lake in Chetek Wisconsin.

As soon as Diane and I saw the place we knew it was going to be "the one". Nice piece of property, elevated from the lake and set back from the lake shore. Whole area between the cabin and the lake is natural (well as natural as it can be with plantings of hosta and ferns and other shade loving plants) with a nice level grass area down by the waters edge. Storage shed next to the lake that has power to it (nice place for a small fridge to keep the "pop" cold) and while it is a bit rustic, it will do for now.

The cabin itself was built in 1986 and was in the care of the original owners until a couple years back where they sold it to the couple we purchased it from. Due to the ease of obtaining public records, we found the original owners and spent quite a bit of time talking about the place. Made me very comfortable that we weren't buying into someone else's problem property. Turns out they built their new home just down the street and are more than happy to show us around and help us learn about the place they called home for many years. The current owners bought it when they got married and intended to use it as a family gathering place. Each had been married previously and came with 3 kids each from prior marriages (sounds like the Brady bunch). I was sad to learn the marriage wasn't to be and thus the reason the cabin was listed for sale.

The cabin is what is called an insulated log cabin. We like the look of log cabins but heard they were not very efficient and required a lot of maintenance time. From speaking with builders and owners of insulated log cabins, we skip some of the maintenance and vastly improve on efficiency. Time will tell I guess.

Anyway, we made an offer on the cabin and it was accepted. We closed yesterday afternoon and can't wait for the fun to begin. Place needs a good cleaning and next weekend that begins. The old 14' Lund will make it's way up there in the spring along with the Hoefgen and Poke boat. Wife is saying we need to find a pleasure boat for us and for when the family and friends come for a visit. May have to have a couple of guys ice fishing visits before he season closes as well.

Thanks for reading. Hopefully some of next year's hunting shots will be from the cabin area. Here's a shot taken in the summer.

View attachment cabin6.jpg

Mark W

Sounds very cool. How much acreage do the lakes in that chain cover?

One thing you might check out are the listings of any of the lakes in that chain on the state-by-state EPA Impaired Waters List. I say that because a number of our lakes in Ohio (ones that used to be great waterfowl hunting areas) have gone through hell in recent years due to Blue-green algal bloom problems caused by nutrient runoff.

Here's the list for Wisconsin:

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/impairedwaters/2016IR_IWList.html

Just scroll through to find any of the lakes in that chain

Congratulations on taking that step. When you have the time and are snooping around while boating/fishing, see how many different areas might have wild rice growing. Just a thought, Mark!
Al

Congratulations! I live in an insulated log home, Energy Star rated, LEED GOLD certified, and I can tell with certainty that a well built insulated log home will retain heat better and cost less to heat. Plus it is 'cozy'.

Hope it has a wood stove. If not, consider installing one. you won't regret it.

log homes are not energy inefficient. poorly built log homes are energy inefficient.

Enjoy!

Congratulations, Mark ~

I retired in 2010 - and have pretty much been working all day, every day since. The difference is that I am working at things I love to do - and do not have to worry about Governors or Commissioners et cetera. I am also spoiled with beautiful places to spend my days - both here at the farm and on Champlain at the family camp. It has been easy to stop and take the time to be grateful. It sounds like you and your wife are headed in a similar direction.

All the best,

SJS

Congrats Mark, you have reached a worthy goal. If I had realized what retirement really meant I would have saved a lot more money way earlier and retired way earlier. It's a wonderful life.

Thanks for all the well wishes -

The lake is a flowage and it does get algae bloom at some point during the summer. We are aware of it, and have discussed it with many. Not an ideal situation but according to many, it isn't that big of a deal. Guess it was one summer but not for awhile. As far as affecting fishing, I don't keep many anyway so not a concern there. As far as hunting, we will have to see. I plan to become Al and get myself a mule or something and hook up my small trailer and haul either kayak to other hunting spots. We are right on the main trails as well. Lot's of small sloughs in the area. Lots of small streams in the area as well. I can see some summer exploring will need to be done.

Not a DBHF "wing" but anyone is welcome anytime - seriously.

Annual DBHF Midwest gathering - happy to host but it is quite a bit north of Lacrosse.

Wood burning stove - got it. Hasn't been used in awhile and will have it checked out prior to first use.

Here's the happy couple. Hope there are many more smiles to come.

View attachment Closing.jpg

Mark W

Mark you look happier in that picture than a kid getting a shotgun for Christmas! Congratulations on the purchase! I've got a buddy that heats with wood and does the chimney sweep on his own that you could surely pick his brain on cleaning frequencies etc.

Mark,
In a few years I will be mimicking you at least somewhat. My wife won't stand for a place out in the woods, but reorienting our lives will be fun.

You are making the way. We look forward to watching and reading about your journey with your wife, cabin and setting.
Larry Eckart

Mark,
In a few years I will be mimicking you at least somewhat. My wife won't stand for a place out in the woods, but reorienting our lives will be fun.

You are making the way. We look forward to watching and reading about your journey with your wife, cabin and setting.
Larry Eckart

Yeah, Diane wouldn't stand for out in the woods either. We found some nice spots with 100 acres that I loved but not so much her. This cabin is near a small town and 30 minutes from a bigger town. Home is 90 minutes away. Seemed like a decent compromise. With 5000 acres of water there are quite a few resorts and bars we can boat to as well. Wonder if any would cook breakfast on the ride back from a morning of duck hunting?

Mark w

Last edited:
I retired in 2010 - and have pretty much been working all day, every day since. The difference is that I am working at things I love to do

SJS

I went out January 2014 after (30) thirty with the PD.

The wife says I went from (2) two fulltime jobs down to (1) one with the guide service.

I work when I want, travel more, spent (2) two months last summer in Alaska guiding, going back for (3) three months next summer.

You're right though, Life is way more fun!!!

Enjoy the cabin!!!

As long as you have a good reason to wake up early every day, and be productive, retirement is just fine.

You get to hunt & fish when you want, not just on your days off, vacation, and before and after work. So you are very well rested, and the experience becomes even more enjoyable.

I retired in 2010 from my J-O-B. It took me awhile to slow down, cuz at first it feels like your on vacation. I tired to cram way to much into each day (my wife thinks I still do).

You will find that things that were minor required "to do" things, take on a more major role in your daily life. I was told by a very wise older friend, that when that happens, your at retirement speed.

Enjoy yourself, and I wish you all the best.

Back