Sea duckin recap from Maine

Troy Fields

Well, with this being our first year of the shortened season, it was always an adventure when afloat. Birds seemed present on our adventures, some days a little more willing to play than others but all in all a successful year. Here is Pearl back on Nov 12th with our first bird of the season, a freckled drake eider.

Always on the lookout.

A great spot to start any day.

Gray skies made for interesting light this morning.

Pearl, with a nice black drake scoter. The orange/yellow of the bill showing underneath the water.

A nice hen eider that gave the spread a fly-bye.

One of many reasons people travel to Maine to hunt sea ducks, the prized drake eider!

I don't know how days I've had the pleasure to sit affront of this structure, but I never grow tired of looking at it. Wood Island Lighthouse.

Pearl, keeping watch of the stern.

Ready...aim...fire!

A hen old squaw that got the pass.

A drake old squaw that didn't receive the same graciousness.

A nice drake surf scoter and drake old squaw, first place prizes for the day.

A black and white kind of day...Pearl working her magic.

Not her most photogenic end but she has found a great lookout spot on the bow.

Splashdown!

A break in the action, the scoter longline, all burlap over foam bodies with epoxy heads.

Just some the backdrop coastline that sometimes makes up my morning.

This is Terrie, my significant other, on her first ever duck hunt. She opted for a sea duck hunt over puddle ducks. although she did miss on the first couple flights, this is a true double from one shot, her first ever waterfowl kill(s). Pearl was less impressed and continued looking for more birds.

Old Squaw pursuit. This was a great cripple chase and this bird fought the retrieve from start to finish. Pearl has an incredibly soft mouth yet she applied just enough pressure to hold the entire trip back.

Pearl putting the sneak on a crippled drake eider.

Mission accomplished.

BOATS...good for the soul!

Local businessman hard at work.

Just a great bird.

The "Eyes have it". A January morning...

Feverishly reloading after a missed volley.

A really nice January old squaw drake.

Some ice crystals floating by at 9:30 in the morning.

Some left for the breeding period.

A picture taken from the layout boat of Pearl and me in the Duckwater.

I hope everybody had successful and memorable seasons.

Thanks for looking!

Amazing scenery and photography!
Thanks for sharing, a trip to the northeast for sea ducks is on my bucket list, but for now I can live it through your adventures.

Good morning, Troy~

What a great reminder of our time with you and Pearl. I still have a big grin on my face - and a wistful look in my eyes. Glad you had a good season.

All the best,

SJS

Great read and pictures, i cut my teeth on "coot" on Long Island sound in lesser boats than yours but would feel very comfortable in that Duckwater.
We once vacationed in Maine traveled from Kitterey to Canada drove down every road that led to the waters edge, what beautiful country.
Thanks for the ride along.
Bill.

That is a great way to share the season. Very nice photos and looks like a lot of fun for your sports.

Troy, what are the large balls on they layout boats for? Safety? In the one pic it looked a little rough.
Great pics, looked like a great shoot...

Back