Como cover for motor

bob Petritsch

The boat blind has a 60 hp Mercury. The beaver tail blind does not completely cover the motor and I've been thinking of hunting with the blind down,especially for seaducks. I've also been thinking of building a low blind, covered with grass or cedar and would like the motor to match. I do not just want to drape the motor with camo material.
I've had poor luck lately getting birds to decoy. They have been hammered hard and those that haven't left for quieter water are very boat shy.
Any recomendations would be appreciated, esp. With pictures!
The beaver tail has pockets for material but they are very high. I tried adding cedar to them but they just hung down and the lower parts of the blind were still just material. I'm not sure if I covered the material with if I could close the blind for transport.

Bob~

Here is a cover I made for Bill Abbate's 30-horse Merc last year:

20%20Tilt_zpsrx6fjrkr.jpg

18%20Front%20B_zpswqgsduii.jpg

21%20Handle_zpsn3831uhw.jpg

Bundles of thatch - or any other vegetation - get lashed to the webbing. Fabric is Sunbrella Marine - in Tresco Birch color.

Hope this helps,

SJS

Bankes will sell you a pre-fabricated MO Shadowgrass motor cover for a big block. Their Freedom has a max. HP rating of 75, so it should fit.

I bought a Banks motor cover some years ago while gunning at Long Point. Good quality but pricey,$135.00 in memory serves.

I am surprised. Do you recall whether it was Michael you talked to? Not long ago they were selling them for $150.

Via visual inspection of the one Steve made, you can see that they are not very difficult to fabricate.

You can buy standard 1000D Cordura from several vendors, including one down near you, in a variety of colors, as well as the 2" webbing for grassing strap fabrication. I have a Bankes motor cover I am willing to measure-up to enable you to make a pattern to fabricate your own. Let me know.

If you want to go another step up, Mil. Spec. 1000D Cordura is a little tighter weave, yielding slightly better tear resistance and it has a three pass urethane coating on underside for water repellency enhancement.

I made my first motor cover with a sheet of camo burlap and a hot glue gun.
My current one if doubled cerex with cable ties.
Either approach works great, lasts for years and cost me about $15 with lot of burlap/cerex left over.
Ducks wont know if you spent $15 or $150.

Still go old school, slit a potato bag and hang it over the motor. If it freezes, drop it in the water. Bags getting hard to find, potato farms disappearing and turning into wineries, progress?

Still go old school, slit a potato bag and hang it over the motor. If it freezes, drop it in the water. Bags getting hard to find, potato farms disappearing and turning into wineries, progress?

I like old school. I've been using a camo tee shirt to put over the 3 hp motor on the sneakbox. I like the idea of using a hot glue gun instead of sewing. Right now I'm trying different things but the hunting is so poor that you can't tell what works and what doesn't. Today was the first time a pulled the trigger in the last 4-5 trips.cant tell what flails the birds and what doesn't when there are no birds around.

Rich, I like that! I actually have some coffee bean bags, may have to try that on my Devlin with the 25 Suzuki. I will throw this out there to all the motor cover people. My Etec will not run with a motor cover on it...the exhaust fumes cannot escape and it chokes itself out. I am new to the actual motor covers, always just used a blanket so you had to take it off if moving. Just fyi for those that may not have known.

I know a few guys who still use potato sacks! They work! I went the camo burlap/hot glue route for my 15, which is unpainted and I have some netting with raffia on it for my 25, which is painted.

DSC_0210.jpg

IMG_7153.jpg

Back