BB II: Flapper Boards and Cockpit cover

Jamus

So, with a changing fleet and a growing family, I have decided to make some adjustments to my BB II. My BB II is currently set up with a dodger to shoot like a sneakbox, but when hunting alone, these days i primarily opt to take a one man glass-over-cedar sneakbox I picked up a few years ago. And with a growing flock of boys, I'd like to reconfigure the BB II to shoot better for multiple people.

My thoughts are take off the dodger and add four flapper boards, one across the bow and two down each edge. Thoughts? How would you seat gunners (on buckets, off floor...)? any wisdom on the best hinge set up for this?

also, has anyone cracked the code on a deck cover for these boats? I made one a few years ago but continue to get a lot of water coming in around the motor. I did see one in the archives (from 2008!) and wondering what the experiences have been.

duck season ended here in Mass yesterday, so naturally I'm thinking about some good projects this morning.

Jamus

So, with a changing fleet and a growing family, I have decided to make some adjustments to my BB II. My BB II is currently set up with a dodger to shoot like a sneakbox, but when hunting alone, these days i primarily opt to take a one man glass-over-cedar sneakbox I picked up a few years ago. And with a growing flock of boys, I'd like to reconfigure the BB II to shoot better for multiple people.

My thoughts are take off the dodger and add four flapper boards, one across the bow and two down each edge. Thoughts? How would you seat gunners (on buckets, off floor...)? any wisdom on the best hinge set up for this?

also, has anyone cracked the code on a deck cover for these boats? I made one a few years ago but continue to get a lot of water coming in around the motor. I did see one in the archives (from 2008!) and wondering what the experiences have been.

duck season ended here in Mass yesterday, so naturally I'm thinking about some good projects this morning.

Jamus

Are your side decks flat or follow the crown of the bow deck??

Last edited:
Jamus,

I started with a dodger on my BB3 along with side curtains. The side curtains have evolved a bit over time but I still prefer that configuration over dodger. Currently I have 4 1" pipes mounted in the corners of the cockpit. I rolled the curtain onto 1/2" pipe with elbows on the ends. The elbows just fit inside the 1" pipes. The top of the curtain is right about shoulder height on me when I sit on a milk crate with a PFD cushion on it. The front guy usually sits on a 5 gal bucket with a padded lid. I also have a little curtain on the front that is also rolled up on a piece of 1/2" pipe that hooks over the elbows from the side curtains. It allows it to be taken down quickly to chase a bird or send a dog. Works very well and takes advantage of as much room as possible in the cockpit.

I'll try and find some pics

This was one of the first few years. Still had the dodger and the side curtains were hinged on the deck - worked ok but not ideal.

I have a slightly higher crown on the foredeck than what devlin calls for and the decks flow back from that (so also slightly elevated) tapering back to more or less planned height on the sponsons.

Thanks Tod

Pete,
thanks and that makes sense. I especially like the idea of running the dog off the bow opening. I was wondering how best to do that. Do you tie in the curtain on the grass rails? looks like that would be a natural place to do it. Also, does the blind rail follow the coaming, or is is set in some to create a narrower slot when viewed from above?

thanks
Jamus

Not hard sides, but what I have. The setup hunts well and has stood the test of time.

You can see a front dodger type part and the sides. I wanted them to be independent, so I could hunt sides up or down. When by myself I always hunt sides down. If I'm alone and next to a bank, I don't put the front up either and the dog is under the cover with his head poking through.

Naked full blind from side,

Picture_19_zpspwqwki8a.jpg
[/URL]

Naked blind sides flat

Picture_21_zps6hr3y1e3.jpg
[/URL]

Naked angled view

Picture_18_zps2irchemm.jpg
[/URL]

Naked sides up top view

Picture_17_zpszyljqccv.jpg
[/URL]

Naked sides down top view

Picture_20_zpsztbnttnw.jpg
[/URL]

Netting with sides up

Picture_14_zpsjbcjalxd.jpg
[/URL]

Netting with sides up

Picture_15_zpswn0z9iff.jpg
[/URL]

Netting with sides down

Picture_13_zps3fzxcuki.jpg
[/URL]

Netting with sides down

Picture_12_zpsqjetsnkr.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
I have a slightly higher crown on the foredeck than what devlin calls for and the decks flow back from that (so also slightly elevated) tapering back to more or less planned height on the sponsons.

Thanks Tod

If the side decks are crowned - flapper boards won't lay flat, that is why I went with fabric for mine. I did go to a lot of trouble to make my side decks crowned and follow the curve fo the bow and stern, but that made more work and problems for me (but it looks nice).

very interesting Tod. when you shoot it with the sides down, do you shoot back over the stern? I really like the flexibility of your setup.

thank you for posting the pictures

very interesting Tod. when you shoot it with the sides down, do you shoot back over the stern? I really like the flexibility of your setup.

thank you for posting the pictures

Usually not right behind more to the side and across - depends on the situation and where the dog is.

The original design that you see in the picture is narrower at the top to limit overhead visibility but in the later version (can't find a pic) the curtain sides are vertical. I find I really like the extra room with the vertical sides and since I normally only hunt divers the extra opening at the top is a non-issue. Yes, the bottom of the curtains are attached to the grass rails - just easier that way.

If you want to close up the top with vertical curtain sides just drape some camo material with grass attached over the top between the two shooters.

Back