Duck hunter rehab effort...

RLLigman

We have an ice storm forecast to roll-up from the south today, so I volunteered to grocery shop yesterday. While walking my haul back out to the truck, ran into a couple packing groceries into theirs, with a nice young black lab's snout and forehead sticking out through the access cab window. He was well behaved and had good confirmation from what I could see, so I asked them how old he was. The male owner said just over two years old, then he quickly asked me whether I owned a lab. Yup, I have a three year old and a pup nine months old from the same bloodlines. He immediately asked if I hunted them and if I did hunt them, do I hunt waterfowl. I asked him if he really had the time to go down that "rabbit hole", glancing at his wife to gauge the real answer. She smiled; rolled her eyes and walked forward to the cab, climbed inside and began reading a book. I had my answer!

I found-out that they moved to the U.P. two years ago from Iowa where he owned and ran the McHenry Hatchery. He sold-ff most of his field hunting decoys and gear but kept his 14' boat to the Great Lakes open waters for divers. I politely told him he might need "more gun" in the boat department to ply the Great Lakes for ducks. He responded that he owned a TDB-14' Sea Class...enough said. I explained the truncated migration that we have experienced the last two years and suggested some lakes inland from Grand Marais to check-out, as well as some agricultural areas to their south. He eventually excused himself from the conversation, to go a doctor's appointment. As I turned away from their vehicle his wife handed me their contact information and thanked me for brightening her husband's day. "He really misses hunting ducks and geese. I sent him to North Dakota this past fall...l just wanted to see him come home happy."

There is a man who married well, with excellent priorities! Now I will work-up a rehab plan...!

That man needs to count his blessings!

Funny how serious duck hunters seem to "migrate" towards each others, seems like we just pick each other out in a crowd.

He just lit-up and became very animated when I told him I focused on waterfowl more than deer(pretty close to sacred cow up here).

They chose a beautiful village to retire to. Jim Harrison used to have a cabin on the lower end of the Sucker, west of the School forest property out east of town. The first five miles of the Sucker is good steelhead water, grading over to a top-notch brook trout fishery upstream. West of town is the Grand Sable Dune, the east end of the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore To the southeast is Hemingway country dotted with a number of walk-in trout lakes; the Two-Hearted and Tahquamenon Rivers. Unfortunately, the duck hunting is primarily for locally produced birds for a few days to weeks and then primarily divers migrating the coast that get forced inland on storm front passages. For someone acclimated to the open ground of Iowa, shooting woodies and mallards off remote beaver flowages that dot the Big Woods is a very different thing altogether.

Sure ain't no cut cornfields to scout!

Back