Skiff building series on the Youtube

Joe Friday

Supporter
Maybe some readers here are already familiar with this series. I've found it incredibly fascinating so far. So, I wanted to post the link here for everyone.

I'd love to spend a summer learning to build boats like this. This man`s ability with a circular saw will amaze you.

Skiff building series on the Youtube:

https://youtu.be/C22Crc7XHoI

Joe~

Yes - I have been enjoying Lou throughout the fall. He is a natural teacher - telling us Why he does What he's doing.

All the best,

SJS

Wow, I'm at the 2:00 mark and I'm ready to take the day off and watch the entire series. Thanks for posting.
I went to Nova Scotia a few years back and you'll damn near wreck your car wrenching your neck to look at cool boats up there as you drive down any road....

It is right in my back yard ! Wickford is about 5 miles south of me right on narr. bay home of alot of boat builders. Great series !!

Home today battling a head cold/sinus infection. Got to watch the entire series.
Pretty cool boat build and the host definitely has a knack for instructional videos. He's a natural.

Thanks for share. Stayed up couple of hours watching his videos last night.
Now all I'm going to be thinking about is building a boat.

Spent the whole day today watching the first 24 episodes. All the superlatives are accurate. He is a great teacher and most of what he does is so intuitive after he explains it. Learned a lot and looking forward the rest of the build.

Nice to see old school craftsman. Seeing it all done stick built. Went to St Michaels last year and spent about 4 hrs in the shipwright shed.
Watched them steam a small part using a old gas can for steam. Also they were cutting planks on a old band saw, HUGE.
Wonder what the skiff ended up weighing? Would like to see it underway.
Great videos...

I was thinking the same thing when he was using the table saw! No push-stick, not guards. Yikes.

Did you guys see the latest episode? Is that the same Michael Braun who is a member here. Anybody know?

Last edited:
Don't know for sure.

Man, that's some pretty lumber they were cutting up.

Been enjoying this series very much. Can't wait for the next episode. I can't help but think that this would make a great television series and would beat most of the garbage "reality" shows that get air time now. I suppose the target audience would be small and only boat nuts like we have on this site would watch regularly. I'm not a boat builder but certainly appreciate seeing how it's done and learning some of the history behind it. Thanks for posting.

Been enjoying this series very much. Can't wait for the next episode. I can't help but think that this would make a great television series and would beat most of the garbage "reality" shows that get air time now. I suppose the target audience would be small and only boat nuts like we have on this site would watch regularly. I'm not a boat builder but certainly appreciate seeing how it's done and learning some of the history behind it. Thanks for posting.

Funny that you mention a TV show on this topic. A friend of mine said the same thing many years ago, and even named his idea, "This Old Boat."... based on the PBS TV series about houses. I think it would make a great PBS series!

Back