Bull has landed in Alabama!

Carl

Staff member
Bull has landed safe & sound in Alabama.
He will spend the day conversing with a few companions in my office.
Don't think I will get to hunt this weekend. Between a nasty cold and the threat of thunderstorms and tornadoes, I think it will be Monday before he gets outside.
More updates to come!

Here he is hanging out with a coot carved by Chuck, one of my older foamers, and LSB buffie & GE plus a couple of his deceased brethren from years past.

[inline Bull1.jpg ]

View attachment Bull1.jpg

Good luck with bull, your reports are one of the best parts of this site.

Also did you kill that Goldeneye in AL?

Yep sure did.
The year I got him, we seemed to have a good number of GEs down, which is unusual. Most years I don't see any.
Looking back at my records, that year, January 2003, a bunch showed up. I shot my first one ever, a hen, on the Jan. 20th.
Then I pulled a scotch double on a hen & immature drake on the 25th. The next morning, the first bird into the decoys was the mature drake you see in the photo.

I didn't kill another one until January 2005 and then another one in January 2006. And don't think I have shot one since.

Given our temperatures this year, I don't expect to see any.

The buffie and the GE are from Lock, Stock & Barrel, 2 part foam.
Lou makes some great decoys (and sells fantastic paints). He molded them, I painted them (oils: FME & Rustoleum plus a green wash from Lou). Check out his website. http://www.lockstockbarrell.com/
These only saw the water one season and then on the shelf they went.
I need to dig out the keels and float them again some day.

Last edited:
Thanks Carl,
My brain didn't pick up on the "LSB"...
If I can ever figure out how to post pics on this site, I have a wood Buff that looks much like that...a wee bit chubbier, but I love that...

Yep sure did.
The year I got him, we seemed to have a good number of GEs down, which is unusual. Most years I don't see any.
Looking back at my records, that year, January 2003, a bunch showed up. I shot my first one ever, a hen, on the Jan. 20th.
Then I pulled a scotch double on a hen & immature drake on the 25th. The next morning, the first bird into the decoys was the mature drake you see in the photo.

I didn't kill another one until January 2005 and then another one in January 2006. And don't think I have shot one since.

Given our temperatures this year, I don't expect to see any.

Very cool, didn't realize they made it that far south. I still haven't killed one or even seen one this year which is the first time in several years. We don't get a ton of them either and are a blast to hunt

We even get scoters from time to time. Mainly whitewings, but I have seen 1 surf scoter in 20 years. Even saw an oldsquaw one year.

Glad to see that he made it there safely. I hope he enjoys his time in Alabama and works well for you. I'm looking forward to your reports.

Back