Wingsetter Decoys

Sheesh, where are you finding all this old stuff??? Herters secret stash and now this...

Joke! But seriously, good for you if they're turning up at the local rummage sales.

I have a dozen Wingsetter Mallards at my Folks in the Twin Cities. They're in okay shape. I am hoping to recondition some of them and use em again. They're cool dekes, but I don't know of anybody who's really a specific collector of them. Just guys who find some and like em enough to buy a few...

What type did you find. Mallards, or Bluebills. Something else?

This deal made rummage sale pricing look expensive! Not withstanding the guy actually knew what he had and had sold the pintail drakes off and kept what I would call "new old stock" canvasback that was on his mantle, that was a decoy! There was blue bills, a black duck, and a bunch of mallards. The blue bills look really good, plus I doubt they have seen much hunting, some of the mallards show significant usage, this outfit was ahead of their time with the swivel head and relaxed low profile head look.
There was 3 what appears to be some "treadecoy" which I understand were made by the same company, no swivel head and appeared to painted as gadwalls.
BTW if you have any friends with a garage full of Herter's I am always buying LOL at least I usually know what I am dealing with there.

My cousin and I found my uncle's stash of Herters a couple weeks ago when cleaning out a barn. He had a bunch of the old "suc duck" decoys. We found a method of weighting them (so they self right) by adding a composite deck board to the bottom. It still keeps them much light in weight to a full body model 72. We're touching up the paint now. I'm goong to attempt to attach a picture.

View attachment IMG_3020.JPG

Back