FEBRUARY 2017 - What's on your Workbench ?

Steve Sanford

All~

Just "converted" some Herter's Model 63 Black Ducks for my own use. These are the older flat-bottomed (no molded keel) style BUT - the screw eyes holding the heads on are plated steel, not brass. Now I am wondering when Herter's stopped using brass screw eyes. Their 1966 catalog offered a dozen brass screw eyes for 80 cents, I think. Which leads to the next question: When did the molded keels commence?

In any event - having just converted 3 "odd head" Mallards to Gadwall, I wanted 3 Greyy Ducks for my own freshwater rig - but they had to be Original Recipe.

Note the difference in head shape (original on left).

2%20drakes_zpsrhqfniqb.jpg

I still need to paint the bottoms and add lines and anchors.

3%20on%20shelf_zpsgpo1p0pi.jpg

And maybe darken the capes on the Drakes.....

All%20Three%20B_zps3igeuymp.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Steve, those gadwall look amazing! I have a couple dozen of those old "flat keeled" Herters model 63's too. My uncle bought them in the 60's. I'd love to know when the keel molds changed too. Some of mine have been in continuos use for 50 seasons, and due to our brackish waters, the keels are showing/rusting though. Does anyone know how I could best restore these classics? They're scaup and canvasbacks. I hate wearing them out hunting, but I equally love that they've shared so many hunts with my family over half a century.

I have misrepresented "keel." What's rusting through is the strip of metal used to get them to self right. They are truly flat on the bottom. Sorry for the confusion.

Robert~

You are correct. All Herter's are made with cast iron ballast keels molded in. The later bodies molded an external keel - presumably to lower the center of gravity of the ballast keel. Around salt water, either body style will allow the keel to rust - usually flaking off and harming the foam. Worst cases open up the foam completely and the keel drops out during a hunt.

I have restored both Broadbill and Canvasback (Model 72s, not 63s). I seal any crevices around the keels with either thickened epoxy or a paintable silicone caulk. In the worst cases, I repair them with filler + fibreglass cloth set in epoxy.

And, I like to coat my Herter's with epoxy+ sawdust (or corncobs). Burlap is stronger - but heavier and lots messier - at least in my hands.

Here are some burlaped birds:

Lucky%2013_zpscfvomak0.jpg

Broadbill rehab is here:

https://stevenjaysanford.com/re-painting-broadbill-decoys/

Photos of Can rehab are here:

https://stevenjaysanford.com/canvasback/

and here - epoxy + sawdust approach:

WS%20-%20Model%2072%20Cans%20-%20SJS%203-13_zpsapgoujcc.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Alright, Steve. I'm going in the for the complete re-furbishment. (Is that a word?) I'm going to have to dig them out in a few weeks and get the ball rolling. This will give me something fun to do during this "in-between" season (where hunting season is over and it's still too cold to fish). I've seen your posts about the cornhusk mix. I'm going to give it the old college try. I'm going to give one to my uncle as a birthday present this year...it's gonna be good. Thanks for the encouragement! I'll be sure to post copious pictures of my progress...probably as I ask for help along way!

That is awesome Bob.

My nephew was recently on Oahu on his honeymoon. He is a pretty fanatical bass fisherman and he found out that there are Peacock Bass on the island . His wife is a great sport who also loves the outdoors so they spent one day trying for bass. He didn't have great luck but did catch a few small ones. I figured one would make a nice practice piece for me and be a good gift for him.

20170206_202326_zpsofyopfro.jpg

Tim

I've stopped and started on these six birds I don't know how many times out of frustration over several years. Now they are nearly done, except for feather splits. I think these are a Keith Mueller pattern or George Shell, that's how long ago they were started...

This is the last of some balsa birds made from WWII era life raft scraps. I would encourage anyone to carve balsa, just don't do it this way because each glued or doweled together piece is of a slightly different density which makes carving really difficult. This is the second cork dust coat over paint, over two coats of epoxy to seal and harden them...

As I gaze upon the artistic talents on these all the pages on duckboats.net I am truly amazed how you fellas can take an inanimate object(S) and breath life so real that it rivals nature herself.

I thank all of you for sharing your talents, photos and knowledge.

Good morning, RL~

You are in good company with those nice birds - many of the Old Masters "underpainted" their finest works!

Here is a "bathtub toy" headed to Berlin later today.

EFK%20Bluewing%20Drake_zpsvnbw3yzg.jpg

A pair of Bluewings headed toward life on a notecard

Bluewings%20on%20White%20WARM%20FULL_zpskcsjlwqw.jpg

Here is a watercolor rendition of our key image for ON THE FALLING TIDE. This is good friend Mike Scheibel poling (aka "shoving") his Benjamin Hallock Scooter at the Pattersquash Gun Club on Bellport Bay in the early 80s. Mike made the stool in the rack. And while his suspenders were indeed broken, I added the red. (Actually, I added a bit too much red. I will have to fuss around with that.)

(BTW: Our FALLING TIDE documentary DVD is at the disc producers now - to be ready in time for our March 4 Show on Long Island.)

LIDCA%20-%20MSS%20poling%205%20x%207_zpswsfggae8.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Back