Go Pros in the cold NDR

Rick L

I enjoy seeing the videos posted here from go pro users

but - i'm asking a question for a friend

he bought a Hero 5 to film skiing with his wife- but when he gets out in the cold weather - the unit shuts down and says the battery is drained

have any of you had issues in the cold - it seems to work fine when not cold

thanks

I have less than great luck with the GOPRO batteries in the cold... 20 min max. I bought an extended battery off Ebay. I hope the Tactacam that bought has better battery life.

I have heard of similar issues with smartphones in very cold weather, so not surprised.

Battery life is going to be negatively affected in any cold environment. I've had my iphone shut down on me for cold a few times in the blind. That being said I haven't had a real issue yet with the GoPros but I'm using extended battery packs on all of them so I'm sure that gives me more leeway. They definitely run a lot longer in the summertime though.

I enjoy seeing the videos posted here from go pro users

but - i'm asking a question for a friend

he bought a Hero 5 to film skiing with his wife- but when he gets out in the cold weather - the unit shuts down and says the battery is drained

have any of you had issues in the cold - it seems to work fine when not cold

thanks

No problem - no one wants to see skiing videos, anyway.

No problem - no one wants to see skiing videos, anyway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

only the out takes -

Battery life will degrade in cold temps. Keep any spare battery in an inside pocket until ready to use. My Hero 5 hasn't given me any noticeable grief.

I've learned the hard way the last time this past January...all batteries stay inside the house from now on when not in use, not even the garage is good enough to keep them from getting too cold where I am. I already keep most battery powered things in my office normally, and have no issues bringing them out to hunt.

I'd be interested to know how you're storing the gopro battery/unit in transit to/from skiing. maybe just keep it close to the body before use...

Back