For the Lovers of Old Canadian Working Decoys

Gary G

DU Canada was recently given a collection 1000 old working birds and has teemed up with Guyette & Deeter to auction the birds with proceeds back to DUC. They've created an e-book for those interested in seeing what the collection comprises of and some histories of the men who carved them.

I thought some of you might like to view the collection, link below should take you there. Some amazing looking birds for sure.

Hope linky works!

[https://issuu.com/mtjstevenson/docs/du_canada?e=5670342/42703855]

It worked for me here is a direct link in case it helps. I tested the link in "preview" mode and the link worked, so if neither works for you it may be a communication issue with your system to a https://issuu dot com site.

Nice catalog / decoy pictures!

Scott

I used the direct link that Scott posted and it worked fine. Nice catalog - enjoyed the personalized information on the individual carvers.

Thanks for getting the link to work Scott, I'm using an iPad and cutting and pasting links seems a bit different than on a PC.

Scott and Gary ~

Thanks so much - what a trove of truly spectacular birds! I love those flat-bottomed decoys.

All the best,

SJS

Wow, what a collection. I'd like to sit (very still) in the room and watch that action.

You can view the decoys on the G&D website.The auction preview has been up for months. A very good collection being sold with proceeds going to DUC. The article "Own a Piece of Waterfowling History" about the collection, on page 16, of the Jan/Feb 2017 issue of DU magazine is a short summation.

The Ivar Fernlund pair of Pintails, from the Brown collection should bring a tidy sum. I imagine that the decoys not sold and kept in Canada to be put on display at DU Oak Hammock aren't to shabby either.

Those are great, thanks for sharing! I'm assuming that those decoys were pretty heavily weighted on the bottom board to keep them upright without a keel?

Interesting auction to say the least. I have a pair of bluebills made by an A Anger, Canadian carver, don't recall his first name i believe he was brother to Ken Anger mentioned in the catalog info. Haven't taken the time to research this further.
Anyone have any quick reference info. available?

Bill: Ken Anger had two cousins in Canada, same last name, who also carved decoys (Cecil and Adam). Cecil's decoys are copies of Ken's, probably used or copied Ken's patterns. Adam had his own style, more like a Ben Schmidt decoy. Adam's decoys are usually keeled and branded ACA on the bottom. Adam carved around 2000 decoys from 1948-1992 when severe arthritis caused him to stop. He made both gunning and decorative decoys including shorebirds, won ribbons and was a judge at many decoy shows in Ontario and Michigan. Decoy Magazine Mar/Apr 1997 had an article on Adam. I'll send you a PM.

Ken Zaborski

Ken, Thanks for the info. These are marked AA on the bottom. They are finish painted with no bottom board just hollowed out. They could have been made but not finished due to his failing health. I picked them up a few years ago at Westlake.

The Ivar Ferndlund pintail pair from the Peter Brown collection sold yesterday at the Guyette Deeter auction for $175,000 plus a 20% buyers commission = $210,000 not including sales tax.

Back