shell box / small gunning box

Rick L

Found this in an antique shop in the Finger Lakes (NY) yesterday

usually don't see a lot of this sort of thing here - the two compartments would hold three boxes of shells each with a little room to spare 11" x 9" by 6"deep

very well made- the initials R. A. S. on both sides - maker? owner? both? i wonder if he was a decoy carver as well

DSC_0349crop_zpslxx3o8r0.png

DSC_0354_zpsn19dgkjh.jpg

DSC_0353crop_zps47svxu31.jpg

DSC_0346crop_zps1apmgaon.jpg

nice fox - I like the bx too
-------------------------------------

thanks Lawrence - that's a 1911 Fox Sterlingworth "pin" gun - with .035 choke in both of the 30" tubes - it makes a good duck gun.

The Ithacas are underrated, I had to return an Ithaca short ten NID to the seller a couple weeks ago

turns out the chokes had been seriously altered so, no longer the gun I was looking for

those old specialized waterfowl guns had great long tapered chokes, My Elsie Longrange takes four inches to taper down 42 thousands

I came up short on a Fox HE in an auction this weekend - third time in row- one of these days - but so far always a bridesmaid when it comes to them
laughing-smiley-014.gif

My condolences on the loss of the Fox, my brother has one and loves it. He always maligned double guns when we were younger, but then he used to listen to John Denver, too!

Last edited:
My condolences on the loss of the Fox, my brother has one and loves it. He always maligned double guns when we were younger, but then he used to listen to John Denver, too!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well the consultation on the best of the HE's i was out outbid on is that a hunting friend beat out the guy who outbid me
action-smiley-033.gif

So- i did not have to pay for it - but do get to look at it and when i am really being a good boy - shoot it a time or two

i would add - if any one know of one that becomes available, i would appreciate knowing about it

Rick, I remember seeing RAS on some spearing decoys, their creator was John Rasmussen. I have no idea where he resides, as well as whether he may have been the original maker of your gunning box.

thanks - i found some references to him on the web, site is down- looks like he retired as a game warden in Minnesota a while ago- but i will email him a picture and see what happens

Back