Travis Bruce Ice Fishing Tourney

Mark W

I can't recall how many of these we have had but it must be nearing 10. For those unfamiliar with "who the heck is Travis Bruce" - search for him on this site. Travis is a character and his posts were quite entertaining. We name our fishing tourney after him as there was no way in hell he was going to come up from the south and sit on ice and fish. Thought maybe naming the event after him might make a difference - it hasn't.

We had a decent turn out for the event as you can see by the picture below. Not everyone in this picture was a part of our tourney but a majority were. As you can see, the weather was not cooperating. I think the temps were in the 60's. As we did not know what the ice would bring, most of us left the cars on shore and were ferried by a 4 wheeler or a Wildcat. The Wildcat on ice was interesting to say the least. Fun thing to drive around. AS you can see in the picture, the ice is changing to that scary and unsafe gray color. While it was still 18"'s thick, there were many cracks and you could hear the ice groaning throughout the day. I wonder if our ice fishing season is complete now that it was 60 degrees on Sunday and it is raining to beat the band today all day. Made for a real short season. Have another event planned for 3/11 but I think that will become a poker evening.

I was unfortunate and fell through the ice before the tourney started. Was walking up to get the house off the trailer and stepped into a semi frozen 10" hole. I hate 10" augers for just this reason. Went up to my knee and fell on my left side. Got completely wet and I can barley walk around today yet (getting older has it's many disadvantages). Black and blue all over. Nothing time won't heal I'm sure.

Fishing started at 3:30 and went to 6:30 Biggest fish was OK and the person who caught the most fish and won had 36 points (Walleye - 5 points, Perch - 2 points, Crappie - 1 point.) 2nd had 22 points and I was third at 21 points. I'm saying the first two couldn't count after they ran out of fingers and toes so it was a guess above "10 points".

My phone camera crapped out on me as it was left in the "cold" and the battery drained. Not much to see as the fish were certainly not the picture to take. A good time was had by all and already planning next years event albeit a little earlier in 2018.

If you search the picture carefully you might find some fun stuff. I see the bottle of Captain Morgan made a showing and I see the chipping iron and cone made theshot as well. Since it was so warm, and a gold course was open, thought we would do a little "closest to the pin" action out on the ice.

View attachment fish.jpg

Mark

. I'm saying the first two couldn't count after they ran out of fingers and toes so it was a guess above "10 points".

Boy, you guys in Minnesota really are swimming in the shallow end of the pool...over here in Michigan we can usually get close to 20 before confusion sets in...

Boy, you guys in Minnesota really are swimming in the shallow end of the pool...over here in Michigan we can usually get close to 20 before confusion sets in...[/QUOTE]

ZING!

Last edited:
Oh you silly guys. They had their beer in one hand and fishing pole in the other hand so they could only use their toes.

Guess we know who has the hard time counting. I'll blame spell wrecker for this one.

Nice catch.

Mark

Who the hell needs a 10" ice hole? I've seen lake trout up to 15 pounds and substantially larger northern pike come through 6" holes without much difficulty. What are you mid-western boys fishing for?

I share your hate for 10" augers. I have stepped in them a couple times when the snow covered them over. It hurts, I hope you don't have any lasting injuries.
I recommend 7 or 8" augers to anyone who asks me. I've seen a fat 25lb pike come up an 8" hole so I think they can handle most fish. Those 10" augers are really scary when kids are fishing.

It was fitting that a golf course was open nearby. I am quite sure Travis was out on the links over the weekend.

Tim

Back