NDR - Florida Question

Paul Strombeck

I retired a couple of years ago and got my first taste of FL in February - loved it. I'm thinking about going back but this time doing freshwater and trailering my 18 Jon behind my truck camper. Can anyone recommend an RV Campground on Okeechobee? Thanks

Paul, I don't know anything about Okeechobee, but will offer a plug for the campground in Myakka River State Park over near Venice on the Gulf Coast.

Great birding, wildlife, paddling, gator-viewing and fishing for snook down in the tidal sections.

I'm sure the Florida crowd will weigh in with other suggestions, if they are not too upset over Chuck's "American wang" thread.

+1 for Fisheating Creek. Otherwise there's a bunch on the West side of the lake and a number of ramps to put the boat in. Lakeport has a couple decent ones. Could try Oka-Tantie in Buckhead Ridge too.

I went down near the south end of the lake in Clewston for a bachelor party. Kris stated the Roland Martin resort which is right on the causeway. It is a nice location but we actually stayed about a mile south east in what I believe is called Holiday Isle. That was many of years ago but a great place with friendly people.

Highly recommend if you put in on the cause way to not take the main channel across from the locks but take the first or second small canal just across the from ramp. You can drive for miles through small channels and fish heavy vegetation for monster bass and bluegill. Just be careful traveling some of the smaller canals not due to depth, it can get shallow, but due to some of the guys flying around in high end bass boats at full speed. An if you have a GPS bring it because you can get turned around even though you may have full visuals of way points of the causeway and etc. It's not a must but in the heavy vegetation areas until you get acquainted it helps. Bring a duck foot push pole to help move or to help free yourself in case you do go shallow. Sometimes a paddle pushes right through the muck in softer bottoms.

If you like fly fishing for bluegill we had several days when the lake was very calm fishing in the coot bay area. Coot bay is the location once you drive north east from the locks on the main channel where it opens up into the main lake which is a nice ride.

Also the Moore Haven Canal just north west of Clewston has mutiple places you can take your boat into various small boat lanes which can open up into beautiful areas of fishable, heavy vegetation. Would trailer your boat to Moore Haven to take the canal.

Have a great time in your retirement and please take pictures of your outings on the lake...Wear some duct tape on your thumb because you will rub your thumb raw lipping bass while taking off the hook...Wish the best!

Kristan

Venice Mayaka RV Park Jeff....
Funny you mention that area, my parents live in North Port and we stayed in Manisota Key while visiting them. Very nice and everyone fishes....

Back