Sculldugery

David G

Does anyone use this boat for floating small to medium size rivers any ideas would be welcome photos of boat in action would also be great

Does anyone use this boat for floating small to medium size rivers any ideas would be welcome photos of boat in action would also be great

Few have been made and I don't think any member that has built one is active, but it would be great if I was wrong.

They are very high profile for a scull.

Last edited:
Oh brother. Can we just get everything after the original post deleted???
:)

Dave,

I met Mark Stahl a retired automotive engineer from Grand Rapids in college whom lived in a house on Syracuse Lake on the point where the canal is located which takes you down to Wawasse while fishing that area. He was cleaning his garage and actually had the scullduggery scull boat sitting on the lawn he built. Ignorant to scull boats at the time I ask him while fishing what he used the boat for which led to many of conversation everytime I was up that way fishing. He spoke highly of the boat and told me many of stories of hunting Macatawa, Grand, and Kalamazoo rivers in Michigan. He was in his 70s and do not know if he is around. It sparked my interest but never got around to actually building.

Living in Fort Wayne at the time I always had in my mind to build one and actually bought plans. I never got around to it but my intended use was to hunt the Maumee from New Haven to around Defiance Ohio which I was already hunting with a buddy jump shooting out of a canoe.

In the past decade I have hunted out of Merry Meeting Bay style. I believe was from Lock Stock and Barrel which a fellow duck boats member Lou Tisch owns. Also hunted out of a lower profile style which the late Bob Hayden sold for years. Both boats are great and depending on flat water or rough conditions each boat had its place. Do not know what your willing to spend but do recommend getting in contact with Lou Tisch. The merry meeting bay style boat can handle big water and has grass rails which would be perfect to put debris on when hunting small rivers.

Regards,
Kristan

I've been really interested in the Scullduggery too but talking to a few guys who know scull boats it isn't an ideal design. I would still love to build one someday though! Maybe it could be modified to have a slightly lower profile?

I've been really interested in the Scullduggery too but talking to a few guys who know scull boats it isn't an ideal design. I would still love to build one someday though! Maybe it could be modified to have a slightly lower profile?

I think that would probably be easy for you. The photos I've seen suggest that cutting it down would be a must if you were going to use it in open water.

I wouldn't get into sculling, the technique is a lot of work and it doesn't work at all. :)

I lost my main hunting rig this year so all I did was scull. We had insane amounts of broadbill around in the lower reaches of the river (well compared to rare pair we usually see) and then I started sculling into the sound and did very well on skunk heads and oldsquaw. Almost got run over by a ferry too. And the geese, are they dumb or what. I had an unreal time this year in the sea coast.

I want to make a mold of my boat and add a transom following the lines of the boat. Dale C ? made his own west coast style a while back and that was quite the write up. I like my Whitney because it is like a good looking woman, lots of curves and no flat spots. Haha

The perfect production boat is the brant 2x from Lou. If I could get one used I would have no need for another marsh hunting boat.

Used brant 2's, tdb's, and old three rivers (I think that's the name of the tdb molds before they got them) show up here or Craigslist now and again.

If I was going to build a wooden float I would make a Joppa flats rig, they are sweet looking.

Sculling is an addiction and remember, zipper lips!

Did you get all questions answered? I am certainly not an expert but you need enough height to fully conceal all of youself and movement. A low profile won't help if you poke out the top. It seems the scull needs to match your size and the water size.

I have some study plans of the sculldugery that I could mail you a copy of, if you want.

I ended up building something different because I wanted a two man float.

Andy. I agree. And as well not an expert! But the ability to hide your hand motion is critical and the west coast scull boats are the lowest I have ever seen The east coast boats like the merrymerting bay and the Whitney and the Joppa flats to a point are much deeper. And can handle bigger water. That being said it depends on where and how you plan on using the scull. Done use it as a boat tucked against the bank and shoot over decoys. Others are pure scull and stalk and I have seen others use s Whitney as a two many layout. I have never first hand seen the scull boat your referencing. But better to have more freeboard then less. With age comes wisdom.

Pictures of Dave's Sculldugery taken way back during my visit & AL hunt w/ Eric. I'm not sure what year but it was back when Eric still had the Scaup that started this site. Anyway I broke off and met up with Dave & Steve for some scull time. Steve had his west coast Humboldt and Dave his newly built Sculldugery. While it looks like it should be a beached whale she actually looks pretty good on the water. Certainly not as stealthy as most but not ridiculous either. Here are some shots of her in action. Enjoy!

View attachment Steve_Dave.jpg

View attachment sculD_stern.jpg

View attachment sculD_aftquarter.jpg

View attachment sculD_side.jpg

View attachment SculD_success.jpg

Eric, thanks again for a marvelous time!
Scott

Back