New boat makes one too many

Mark W

First - thanks for all the advice given when searching for a new boat. After all the negative comments regarding I/O's I started looking at alternative power. Still couldn't find an outboard motor on a boat over 18' which didn't leave much else to consider. Enter the line of Yamaha jet boats. Did lots of research on these boats and visited a couple of places that sell them. Spoke with our sales rep who calls on Yamaha who got me in touch with some of the folks who design and build them. After these discussions, I decided hat the 19' Yamaha will fit our needs very well. Still haven't been in one underway and still leery of noise and vibration but have been assured the boat will meet my expectations.

Found a 2016 AR190 nearby that had 9 hours on the motor. Spoke with the guy and he seemed very upfront and honest. Went down with Diane and when we saw the boat for sale, we decided that was the boat for us and our family. Gentleman selling it wanted a little more than we had budgeted for and after another discussion he came down to a price we were comfortable with. I think he got a fair price and we feel as though we too got a more than fair price. Boat comes with many extras needed to get out on the water - 5 year transferable extended warranty, life jackets, tubes, anchor, fire extinguisher, sand anchors, winterizing stuff, tower speakers and so on. All I need to do is add water which after todays 18" snowfall might be awhile.

Some of the things that turned me towards the Yamaha were its features: interior room, price, winterization, maintenance regiment, performance and looks. This boat has beautiful lines IMO. Winterizing is non existent almost. Maintenance is low, gas consumption is less than an I/O. Storage is everywhere and big storage spaces. What is really cool about the boat is the swim platform off the back. Because the engine is purpose built, it is such a low profile motor that it can be placed deeper in the hull. This frees up so much space at the back of the boat that it seems this boat is bigger than it really is. Boat weights 2200lbs which means I can easily tow it with my current vehicle. Total weight with trailer is under 2800 pounds which makes titling it and licensing it easy compared to a package that weighs over 3,000lbs. The Yamaha boats have a very nice feature to clean out the jet intake area should it ever get clogged with weeds. Open up a rear hath and pull out a plug. Stick you hand in the hole and unclog the intake.

Nice thing about buying used in MN is that I am only taxed on the value of the trailer, nothing more. In the State of MN. Someone must have been asleep when this regulation got through. Now to determine the value of just the trailer as all Yamaha boats are sold as a package that includes the trailer.

It will be a few days before we pick it up. Now to find a place to keep it until the hard water is gone.

Here is a picture of what the boat looks like. It isn't the one we bought but it looks just like it.

View attachment AR190.jpg

Mark

Last edited:
Mark,
Great boat, it even comes with a trolling mast. Add a few rod holders, a gaff, a bait bucket, a cleaning station and a livewell, you will be all set.

Mark,
Great boat, it even comes with a trolling mast. Add a few rod holders, a gaff, a bait bucket, a cleaning station and a livewell, you will be all set.

At least I can't fall off the boat or anything retrieving a lure. Well at least I shouldn't fall off the boat.....

I already have another boat for fishing. And a couple more for duck hunting. Just need a paddleboat.

Mark W

Nice looking rig!
You gonna paint olive drab or open water grey? Keep us updated on how the blind build comes along.
:)

Nice looking rig!
You gonna paint olive drab or open water grey? Keep us updated on how the blind build comes along.
:)

Haven't decided yet. FME#28 is the go to standard.

Figure this boat could make an interesting tender. I have heard the duck hunting spots on this chain of lakes is a few miles away. Figure this one could make a good tow vessel. Draft is a little over 12"'s. Can get just about anywhere.

Mark

Nice boat Mark. You folks should have years of fun with this one. Take an anchor and a bout out to some open water and practice with he approach as a jet handles just a little different than a prop. Easy to get used to.

It can probably get you there faster than you want to go in the dark!

Looks like a great family boat and summer toy Mark, enjoy! I've always wanted to drive one of those, looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Back