Photo Backdrop for Decoys

[size 5] Steve,

Have always liked to use a neutral grey background for photographing my birds, but the concept of the horizonless background is really a great idea! Thanks for sharing it.

[inline IMGP8057.jpg ]

As if we all didn't need another project to add to the list!

View attachment IMGP8057.jpg

Good morning, Bob~

Very timely! Just yesterday I re-painted my backdrop with a cream color. I have been all over the lot over the years - mostly with a neutral grey. Probably the ideal is to have different colors for different species.

In any event, I am just finishing up a Black Duck, too. So, we will see if the cream was a good idea....

(and, lighting is a whole other story!)

All the best,

SJS

bob

what is going on with that black, is the entire body splattered?

[size 5]Kris,

Some of us are old enough to remember when painting rules in some gunning/service decoy contests specified "combing, ragging, & stippling" as the only acceptable means of achieving detail on a contest gunner.... and some of us are old enough to remember how to do those things [smile] ..... yet not so old, that we have forgotten how.
The decoy pictured above has been "ragged." Basically, ragging is just what it sounds like: using a bunched-up shop rag dipped in color (very thin amounts), and then popping that color on over the base color of the decoy.

That particular decoy was carved from an original group of six, date-palm fronds that the late Bobby Sutton sent me sometime in 2007. The '07-'08 season was the first year I used those birds, so that particular decoy has been gunned over for 10 seasons now.

Last week I had occasion to repair & touch up the paint on a number of those decoys, one of which had a big dent in the breast area that needed repair.

Originally, they had all been flat, blackduck "black," but as I was doing the repaints, I thought it might be fun to rag the lighter color onto the bodies. When one backs off to 35-40 yards, they look even better than they do up close. Sometimes the old tricks are just the ticket!

Here's the one I did the breast repair on that kicked off the ragging repaints on the others: View attachment Sutton1.jpg

The heads on all these decoys are spatter painted.

Last edited:
Thank you for re-posting !

Members how do you save this link ?
----------------------------------------------------------

you should be able to bookmark it in your favorites like any other page

Back