anyone reload 410 shells?

Brandon Yuchasz

I have an odd request.

Does anyone reload 410 shells and would they be willing to load me a couple boxes of "light recoil rounds"?

Thanks but I am looking for something with less punch then factory.

This is to help a kid get over being quite gun shy. Its not my plan it hers and since its how she is comfortable going about it I am going to try and facilitate it.

I figure someone withe skill to reload will be able to help me come up with a load that will work.

I cannot help with the "light 410 loads", but may be able to help with the issue.
I have found that for most beginning shooters it is not the push of the gun on the shoulder but the noise of the gun. Get ear plugs that are designed for a child, then use a set of muffs that are designed for a child. Both are available. but can be tough to find.

I have also found that many parent start the kids with a gun that does not fit. I am guilty of this as well. There was a HUGE difference when my son shot a kids gun. It was not so much the weight but with the shorter but stock and the shorter barrels the weight was much closer to his core and way easier to handle. With my "light" gun his core was behind his feet to compensate for the weight of the in in front of him. In this position a little shove was a lot more noticeable and difficult to deal with. Getting child's body into the correct shooting position allows then to absorb the push effectively.

Once those 2 issues were dealt with then he could handle heavy hunting loads without any issue.

Hope this helps.

I,ve found with both grandson & grandaughter starting them out with a youth singleshot 20 loaded down to 28 guage loads is virtually no recoil. Even less than standard 2 1/2" 410 shells. I was loading at 3/4 oz. of shot instead of 20,s traditional 7/8 oz. And as mentioned before stock lenght and hearing protection all preceived recoil. When picking reload formula look for lowest pressure which in turn produced lowest recoil.

If 2 1/2 inch field loads are too stiff and the gun fits and has a good pad, maybe it is time to wait. As parents, we want our children to enjoy things like shooting, but we have to be sure not to rush them when they aren't ready.

Good point Tod, as a FAS instructor I see plenty of 11 year olds that are ready and a whole lot more that are not. I have been playing with some 1/2 oz. 20 ga. loads that really are creampuff loads and do just fine at 16 yd. trap if I do my part. Which brings to mind another very important point- Kids like to break targets and the .410 is much more of an experts gun than a kids gun. Of course we don't want our kids to be introduced to the gun as I am sure many of us have been, getting bruised and probably knocked on our butt. Against all common knowledge I recommend a first gun to be a 20 ga. autoloader. Sounds crazy I know but you have a lower recoil, better chance of breaking targets, a gun to grow into and you can limit the shells to just ONE. A full length plug can do that or just close supervision. One more point is I am not sure a "low recoil".410 is even possible, I'll look in my loading manuals. Good luck and be happy to have a kid wanting to shoot.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Like I mentioned though this isn't my plan it's hers and what she is comfortable with. So I'm not going to talk her into something else... Different gun, waiting and so on. She knows this problem is in her head and has decided the best way to get over it is to shoot a box of exstreamly light 410 loads.

My preference would be low recoil 20 GA.

Her preference is soft 410 at a stationary target then move.up to light 20.

They sell what I call a "reducer" .410 to 20 I bought two of them and they worked well in a double barrel. My grandson was having issues with the kick on the 20. Shooting .410 in a 20 resulted in little if any kick. Now a few years older he shoots my 12 and my 20 (happy to say) better than me. I think I purchased them on line from "cheaper than dirt".

I have been talking (pm) with Tom quite a bit and it looks like I am going to try and load some of his "powder puff" 20 ga loads.

start with a 22lr. there is a little one called a cricket. they are quiet, low recoil, cheap to shoot. crickets are cheap as well. perhaps someone in your neighborhood has a youth 22 you could use. good luck.

Back