DEC Hunter input 2017

Kevin B

The DEC had 1100 respondents from the 4 zones. Of the 335 who hunted the NE Zone about 35 % were from the Zone or from the Western zone.

75% favored a 10/7 opener for 2017
80% a 10/21 or 10/28 split
70% a 12 /10 close or 12 /17 close

Less than 20 % wanted it earlier or later
Less than 5% want it 10/1 opener /12/24 or later close.

70% hunt the St Lawerence,20% Oneida lake.
44 % satisfied
25% Neutral
30% dissatisfied

The % of hunter preference from residents in the zone compared to outside the zone(Mostly westernZone ) were identical.

This is the data that will be used for setting the 2017 season . Participation in the hunter input is the wave of the future if you choose to be heard.
In my 10 plus years on the task force this is the most useful data we have had to worked with. So with that said 1100 is a very low number for input, Hopefully in it's 3rd year more hunters will give input.

Thanks to all that did.

Kevin Bodmer
NE Zone central adirondack Task force member

Kevin~

This is excellent information. Did you get it as a Task Force member ?

I sure hope the Southeastern Zone respondents want to open a week LATER than you.

Thanks very much!

SJS

Been discussing this with hunting friends for a couple days. For us western NY marsh hunters - looks like we may come up short _ early open gets the local birds but may shut down before the migration come through

Hard to please everyone. And our zone had marsh and big water to satisfy and that is never easy

Yes Steve I t just came in. I don't know when the SE zone meeting is ,I like to attend as many as possible though I am only an observer at any other meeting. They are all open to the public to view the process. Ours is March 18th in Raybrook

Kevin~

The Southeastern Zone meeting is March 11 in Schenectady. I plan to attend.

(The LI Zone meeting is March 4 - same as our Decoy Collectors/ON THE FALLING TIDE Show)

All the best,

SJS

Yes, you guys in the western zone suffer from the same thing we do in the NE , Zone is very big. It is hard to change zone boundaries without making problems for the zone that takes on the changes. Ny is lucky to have the 4 zones + Champlain.
Nice to see the western zone's input participation, I think with the word getting out more hunters will give input on any and all zones they hunt.

I hunted Cayuga in January but I know birds came down after

As a western NY zone hunter I favor the early opener for Wood Ducks & Teal, and stated so in my input.

Most local places that do hold birds on private property, during the migration, will not allow waterfowl hunting cuz it's deer season (bow, gun, muzzleloader).

Even INWR closes waterfowl hunting for Deer Season. How is that conducive for recruiting and keeping new waterfowl hunters?

Antler Madness and posted property has done more to harm waterfowling & small game hunting that anything else.

More open places for waterfowling are just as important, or more so than haggling over season dates.

Going from western PA, on the Ohio boarder, to NY has been a real eye opener. In PA & Ohio there are ample places to hunt, yet fewer waterfowl. NY has ample waterfowl and fewer open places to hunt, at least where I'm at.

I hunted Cayuga in January but I know birds came down after

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
everything was late this year - but i would not want a couple mild winters decide the future

a couple friends and I Hunted Cayuga in January - scouting showed the ducks piled up in one area - we all drove down and woke up to 50 degrees and rain- the fields around there opened up, the ice was gone and so were the ducks -

still got a few - had a great time experiencing something different than the marsh - but in a normal year - the ice would have stayed for a few months

i don't know how they could do a big water season and still give us days to the marsh-

and yes Vince - in NY everything competes with antlers - once upon a time - I had time in the woods with the setters where I did not have to worry about deer hunters and could still run them on Sundays during firearms season. Now bow opens with grouse - gun season starts earlier -

the idea is to manage waterfowl for the best potential - if it was to maximize the kill - we would be hunting the ponds at the malls in September
laughing-smiley-014.gif

Antlers rule in many places, not just NY, but it appears to be at a higher degree here. The fact that there are fewer waterfowl and upland bird hunters in NY than in the past does not help. As for pleasing big water hunters and marsh hunters at the same time. I've not seen it happen in my lifetime.

There are no malls where I live, but I would welcome a Sept. Teal & Dove season, like so many other states offer. Those seasons I do miss, and both seasons get new hunters hooked.

I won't be able to attend the SE :(

I am hoping to go to The Lake Champlain Vt/ Ny meeting.

Deer season is too long I agree but we only set the dates . Follow the money, 700k deer hunters have a huge sway with the legislature .
In the input survey there is a spot to air any and all concerns, that as welcome by the DEC.

The climate data for next fall is trending toward another El Nino fall. If that holds we will repeat the 2015 season, open early with a late migration. I hope they are wrong

Kevin - Thank you for your input and reply. I have aired my concerns with the NY DEC in the survey, and by written letter.

My major concern is setting dates that offer the best opportunity for new and young hunters. Many of them do not have the $$$$ to sink into big water rigs, or the chance to hunt with those that do.

Most of the young and new hunters will go deer hunting over duck hunting any day. As we all know.

As for me, I'd rather have a new or young hunter hunt over my decoys, than shoot birds myself. I've had my fill of full duck & goose straps. My concern is about the future of waterfowling and our lifestyle.

Waterfowlers are eternal optimists. We watch the sky & water, listen and wait. Having a place to do that is very important.

Indeed, the task force went to as many Saturday openers and Sunday close to give the average guy a chance to get out with his kids . Gone are the Wednesday openers for the NE zone . I have given my old deke's to local kids that wanted to have their own spread. and taken a few out.
Duck hunting is a social sport, probably what drew me to it after spending my young days tagging along with The legend Al Owen.
Deer hunting for me is a meat affair,once I have a couple in the freezer it's back to just duck hunting .
I don't see any real changes to the NE zone, I think the 8th as opener is a good bet and the 10th or 17th the close judging from the feed back.

Back