brrrrr with slight warming

Huntindave McCann

Sponsor
Spring almost came in February this year. We had a strong warming trend, all the ice went away and the river waters were warming up. Temps even got into the 60's around here.

Then it rained a cold rain, got colder and snowed again, a wet icy snow. That was Friday and now on Sunday most the snow is gone again. The river came up to flood stage and is starting to recede. Needless to say there was no sense in trying to fish earlier last week. However, the sun showed it face today and the temp climbed to 40 degrees so off I went. The water had cooled down a bit and was reading 38degrees on the sonar unit and running heavy. I found a few out of the current spots and tried my luck.

Third spot I tried, I hit pay dirt. These measured right in the 15-16 inch range, nice eaters for the pan. Caught the three of them on a pink jig head tipped with a white Berkely Gulp minnow.

20170226_151305_zpshe0gcqxw.jpg

Nice Dave - real nice. Love the walleye. Woodcock calling and peepers last couple nights here.

I thought that was you posting over on Iowa Sportsman. Those are nice eaters there. Been slow on over here on the Mississippi. Son wanted me to come out Cedar Rapids way by him, and give it a try.

Lance

Lance,

Yes that would be me. I have a son-in-law down in Tipton. He does not do much fishing but occasionally puts in on the Cedar River near his home.

Dave those look tasty.
Hopefully next weeks warmer weather will get some open water fishing started around here.

Tim

Back