Duck box

Good morning Gentlemen
I need to replace/cleanout wood duck boxes on my property. I have always made my own, the life span on those is about 3-5 years. I am considering purchasing the "duck hut" wood duck nesting boxes. Have any of you had experience with these, your thoughts would be appreciated.

X2 on the cedar or cypress. I maintain about ten boxes all made out of rough
sawn cedar and have not had to replace any boxes for a long time,as a matter of fact one is about 20yrs old.

I maintain about 20 boxes here on our local lake. These were built with rough cut cypress about 25 years ago. I put new predator guards on them and with some minor maintenance and regular clean out after each jump day and they crank out baby woody's.

Our state has gone to boxes constructed from pine, unfortunately I doubt they'll last 1/2 as long.

Here's a picture I shot a couple weeks ago. Hens have been staking claim and loading up boxes for the last month.

We have a number of duck boxes here also. I have made many from cedar, and yes they last well too. Unfortunately my legs are pretty much shot and box maintenance gets tougher every year.
Thank you for all your comments if I go with the "duckhuts" I will let you know how they do.
Bob

Has anyone ever roofed them with metal? Seems they'd last forever if you could run the water off. And what self-respecting duck wouldn't appreciate the sound of rain on a tin roof?

I would be afraid of putting on a metal roof due to the heat it may generate inside bx. Some plastic bxs made a few years ago had a rep for smothering the hatchlings due to excess heat buildup.

DU has plans on their web site I believe. If you can,t find them Md. waterfowlers association has them on their wood duck initiative site.

Back