Nor'Easter Broadbill Photos (Long Island, NY)

Anthony Babich

Gold Sponsor
Got out yesterday during the storm here on Long Island's southshore with the camera. Captured this nice flock of Broadbill just before losing feelings in the hands out there..a wide variety filling the skies yesterday

Here's the video:

https://vimeo.com/208570165

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-15%20at%2010.02.20%20PM_zpsbunxtg8h.png

IslandOutdoorsMediaTM-59_zpshvp0tij2.jpg

IslandOutdoorsMediaTM-60_zpsesdaqfdf.jpg

IslandOutdoorsMediaTM-62_zpsyd3odzgg.jpg

IslandOutdoorsMediaTM-56_zpsbcdgzosm.jpg

IslandOutdoorsMediaTM-53_zpscrm90kso.jpg

IslandOutdoorsMediaTM-24_zpskaizcwnc.jpg

IslandOutdoorsMediaTM-72_zpsohxnopnm.jpg

IslandOutdoorsMediaTM-93_zpslrhttfj3.jpg

IslandOutdoorsMediaTM-89_zpskr1jgf1c.jpg

IslandOutdoorsMediaTM-86_zpspofogbpa.jpg

Some special guests also showed up... (Atlantic Brant)

IslandOutdoorsMediaTM-84_zps2pux5ywa.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic!
Damn, I sure missed seeing bluebills this last season.

Good morning, Anthony~

Spectacular!

Interesting, though, how so many are Lessers. I wonder where they spent the winter.

All the best,

SJS

Steve,

I would imagine that most of those lessers spent the winter in the southern states of this flyway. (hopefully some of the southern guys can chime in with their observations) During my brief stint living in south carolina the over whelming majority of broadbill I killed were lessers which is the exact opposite of my experiences here in new jersey. I was only there for 2 seasons though and did not kill as many bills there as I do here as most of my hunting was killing wood ducks in the swamps so I had a small sample size to deal take my observations from. So with that limited knowledge I have I would guess those birds are coming up from the south and staging here on their way up to their nesting grounds

Thank You All!

The camera rig I used on this was my Nikon D810 with the new Tamron 150-600m G2 Lens.

Will: We saw Blackduck, Geese, Brant, Widgeon, and Puddlers in the same area that day. I couldn't feel my hands after awhile but got what I came for.

Great photography! Got my heart rate up as well as my saliva production. You'll probably inspire Steve to carve one like the landing bird in photo #6!

Hey Guys, sorry I'm late to this thread...it's been a busy last few weeks for me. In coastal North Carolina, we don't get very many greater scaup anymore. We do, however, see a decent number of lessers (on good years). Those probably are southern birds heard back northward. Anthony, these pics are great! Thanks for braving those conditions for our enjoyment!

Back