Lee Harker's BBII Sails Again

Troy Brown

I'm honored to have had the opportunity yesterday to buy a BBII from a friend of John L in Long Island who was the owner of a well maintained BBII, originally owned by Lee. I didn't know Lee, but I read the tribute on the forum a while back and know many of you considered him a friend.

Speaking of friends.... many of mine, including many new ones, helped me navigate the decision, including aluminum or not (thanks to John Kuhn for his input and advice), building new (thanks to Frank Middleton for helping me think through), safety and the rich history of duck boat building (thank you Dave Clark), and most of all - thanks to my good buddy Jamus Driscoll for enduring my many questions, and frankly, enjoying my buying process almost as much as me. Now next time we go out, there will be twin BBII's assaulting the marsh.

I'm happy to report the boat is in good shape, full of decoys and gear, complete with a circuit panel for lights, a nice canvas, a 3 year old yahama 4-stroke 25hp, and flapper boards. I need to repair/reinforce the bow eye, which took too much abuse on the ride from Long Island to New Hampshire. And I need to decide whether to trim the sponson corners a bit.

I'll be selling my Gus Heinrich BBSB once i do some minor repair work. PM me if interested. When i'm ready I'll post on Craigslist.

I'll try to post some pics of the BBII boat this coming weekend.

Thanks to everyone for their input and advice. I can't wait for duck season!!!! It means a lot to me that this boat has the fingerprints of a guy like Lee on it. I'll do my best to continue this boat's legacy in his memory.

Troy

I'm sure Lee will be smiling down when you hunt out of his old boat!

me too!!!! but i got a lot of input on this. i still think it would be a tank, but it could never get submerged....

I love hearing this Troy. So glad that Lee's legacy lives on. Lee and I hunted out of that boat many times. Wonderful memories.

Never met the guy face to face but we would have had plenty to chat about and drink a beer or two. Don't think we would have disagreed about much. Seeing his pic sure brought memories back from the early days of the forum

Back