First Build-BBIII with Phil (Updated first hunt pics)

Andrew L.

After years of lurking & an entire fall/winter of R&D trying to make a decision on a boat build, last weekend Phil began teaching this rookie my way around a boat build.

I have to say that without Phil there is no way this boat would be added to my fleet. He has been gracious enough to not only take the time to teach me the process but we are building it in his shop as well. I have even got to enjoy the fine cooking of Mrs. Nowack which I highly recommend should you be passing through Iowa. She has even pitched in to help in my absence on Saturday afternoon! Thank you to Nowacks for letting my invade their lives with another boat for a few weeks!

Thank you to many other members of this site as well. An awesome resource it has been for me to get started and learn the craft. Tom & Rick let me come take a look at their boats to get a feel for what I wanted. Pete provided a full list of the items needed from his build. Tod, Cody & Roy have also helped answer questions along the way. Jon Y mailed wood flour for us as well.

The first day was lofting & stitching.
View attachment 20170311_152319.jpg

We used my current 14' aluminum boat trailer to get started but a new galvanized bunk trailer will be picked up this weekend for the boat to permanently sit on.

We ended day one with everything lofted and 3 of the bulkheads in place. Don't mind the sides on this picture, they were flipped the next day.
View attachment 20170311_211012.jpg

I plan to run a mud motor on this boat so we moved the transom to the back & doubled it in thickness which Phil installed during the week.
This past Saturday we filleted and glassed the seams.
View attachment 20170318_094159.jpg

On Sunday Phil made the flip and we will meet tonight to glass the bottom.
View attachment IMG_20170319_104220994_HDR.jpg

More pictures & progress to follow...

Last edited:
Sarah and I are anxiously waiting for the payment for our generosity! As I recall, the first point of compensation is YOU cleaning our garage!!!! :)

Sure must be nice building in tropical Iowa, looks like spring. Phil, you are really working on that pass for the pearly gates. Nice job to all concerned. You will be so happy with your choice.

Sure must be nice building in tropical Iowa, looks like spring.

Ole was really excited because a survey crew had been out at his farm and determined that it was actually in northern Iowa instead of southern Minnesota.

"Why're ya so excited about that?" Sven asked Ole.

"Well," Ole said, "It means I won't have ta go through another one of those hard Minnesota winters!"

Ya shur dem ol Minnesota winters when da snow was up to the roof and the way to school was uphill both ways. I remember

Andrew,

I too am considering a BBIII build. I have not committed yet but just to be on the safe side, you and Phil work out all the kinks on this build. Then the three of us can tackle my build. Heck, with you, Phil, and Sarah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I might not even have to show up till it's time for the maiden voyage. hehehe

Seriously tho, I'll have to run over there this weekend to check it out.

You may want to wait two weeks before you check it out. The hull is getting glassed tonight and then it will sit a week before painting. Looking at the bottom of a boat is not terribly exciting

Last edited:
Andrew,

I too am considering a BBIII build. I have not committed yet but just to be on the safe side, you and Phil work out all the kinks on this build. Then the three of us can tackle my build. Heck, with you, Phil, and Sarah,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I might not even have to show up till it's time for the maiden voyage. hehehe

Seriously tho, I'll have to run over there this weekend to check it out.

Haha I am sure Sarah would appreciate that the most. We can certainly connect this summer as well so you can take a test drive.

Some good progress since last posting.

The boat's bottom is glassed, painted and composite decking was used for the keel and runners. Foam floatation was added to 2 back compartments and the front compartment. 3/4 conduit was run for the fuel line and 1/2" for wiring the lights.
The boat was moved to my place after that, a move I am certain Mrs. Nowack was happy with!
The floor is now in with some sanding left to do there. The top deck is rough cut out. Need to finish wiring as well.

In a perfect world in about 10 days this boat could be done outside of adding grass rails but with turkey season this week not a lot may get done.

View attachment 20170327_212712(0).jpg
View attachment 20170415_093503.jpg

Last edited:
Some good progress since last posting. I chose not to do much fairing for both time's sake and this boat will be covered 100% with rafia grass for the year.
I added grass rails following Eric's instructions from his Scaup build but used Trex composite decking instead of wood. It was a real bear to drill through, even with a drill press and 2 brand new bits. also the cutting bit on my router wanted nothing to do with trying to cut the decking so I settled for using a circular saw in between the drill holes and finshed them with a jig saw. The rails are screwed through where there was no access (foam compartments) and bolted through where I did have access under the deck. I also threw a bit of peanut butter underneath each contact point for water proofing.

I decided to add a 4" hatch on the deck for filling the gas tank. 2 1"x3"s were cut at a a length and peanut buttered in to hold the tank so that it sits less than 1" below the deck for easy access to fill.

Picture of the paint drying. Lock & Stock FME#10.
View attachment 20170507_195713.jpg

I pick up a 23hp Backwater long tail motor on Wednesday and pending the arrival of my registration stickers it should see the water for the first time this week. In the meantime it is blind designing.

Last edited:
Looking great! Good choice on the Backwater, they are the best longtail on the market these days. I have 2 of their Glider kits and I just ordered the 35hp for a boat I'm building this summer-great stuff! I'm really looking forward to seeing how your BB3 runs with the 23-when I had a BB3 I thought that the 23 would be ideal for it. Awesome job!

Back