Questions re flocking foamers

bob Petritsch

I've read that people thin out the second coat of glue when they flock framers. I am using wood glue and sawdust. My question is what ratio do you thin for the second coat?
Second question, I read that some people flock with paint instead of glue. Which is better? What kind of paint,latex or oil?
Can you use foam for the head, I've been using plastic heads, left over from corkers I was making in another life. Heads are too small for large scoter decoys I've been making.

When I've done the sawdust and glue foamers, I won't thin the glue very much-I think the idea is to get it loose enough to flow into all the crevices and small holes in the foam. Just add a bit of water until it feels "right." I haven't had much luck making foam heads, they are too soft unless you are fully burlapping them-balsa or white pine heads are what I usually put on my foamers. I have tried using a 1/4" masonite core and gluing foam on to either side to make the head, that works OK but the bill area is still easy to damage.

Thanks! They are made from 8# urethane foam. No breaking problems yet.

I use to use 4#. I had a few that suffered broken bills, but not many over 10 years. 8# rides better and stronger.

Last edited:
What you're talking about doing with glue and sawdust is called restle-coating, which adds a protective coating. Flocking involves adding "flocking"-tiny nylon threads-via glue or paint. I've used rustoleum with good results. Flocking requires at least 2 layers...More is better.

What you're talking about doing with glue and sawdust is called restle-coating, which adds a protective coating. Flocking involves adding "flocking"-tiny nylon threads-via glue or paint. I've used rustoleum with good results. Flocking requires at least 2 layers...More is better.

Robby, when I restle coat with sawdust, do I use the rustoleum the same way I would use the glue? Must it be oil based paint? Which is better, glue or paint.
Seems the paint may be cheaper, but the water clean up with the glue does make it easier. Do you try to match the color scheme for the finished decoy?
Thanks for the reply

Bob, for restle-coating, use glue...rustoleum is only an option if you're using actual flocking. Restle-coating adds strength to the foam decoy while also creating a textured surface that reduces glare. Flocking does less to protect, but cuts glare even more. I would use tite-bond or tite-bond II.

Used Tite-bond III with ground corn cob first. Then saw Steve Sanford's epoxy and sawdust process and switched to that and like it much better. The saw dust I use is from the band saw, and I sift it with a kitchen flour sifter. The ground corn cob is abrasive. The saw dust is much less texture, but still plenty. They paint easier, and look better to my eye. In both cases, I used latex after for both primer and painting.

Back