Ongoing Workshop Projects

Nice looking shop Eric. I really enjoy the shop tours on this site. I like to see where the magic is made. You've been busy putting all of your creative and organizational skills to work.

So how'd you clean up that shaper deck so nicely?

Brad, I use a razor blade to scrape the heavy rust off and then use a random orbital sander from 120 to about 400 grit. From there it is hand sanding all the way up to 1600 grit.

Holy Cow! That's crazy. I'd love to have a shop like that. My iPad is about to short out from me drooling over it after looking at those pics.

WOW!!!! I always wondered what man heaven looked like .... looks like you built it right here on earth. Fabulous workshop!!

Fantastic, Eric. What a labor of love.

If I ever find time between decoys, calls, & puppy, I'm going to put together a rack like that for turning tools.

I was searching the site today trying to Id an old tool that is in my inlaws basement. I came across this old post and thought I should pull it back to the front in case newer members of the site had not seen it.

EEK! I remember working on those old shop benches in junior high. For those of you who don't know when that was--sometime between 1954-56

Brandon

Thanks. A lot has been done since those pictures were taken. Most notably the walls are complete along with the finish carpentry (baseboard, door/window trim, and crown). I still need to insulate the wall that separates the workshop from the garage and build an insulated garage door for the 10' x 10' opening. Then I'm going to build a workbench that spans an entire wall with cabinets and drawers. Should take about a year for these. Then I will consider the shop to be mostly done but there will always things I want to do and add.

Eric

I was searching the site today trying to Id an old tool that is in my inlaws basement. I came across this old post and thought I should pull it back to the front in case newer members of the site had not seen it.

Wow, awesome setup! Better than some pro shops I've worked in. But I love old iron. Spent many many hours on a powermatic 66.

The pars organizer nj really caught my eye . Jealous!!!

Wow, awesome setup! Better than some pro shops I've worked in. But I love old iron. Spent many many hours on a powermatic 66.

The pars organizer nj really caught my eye . Jealous!!!

Jode

The 66 is the backbone of the shop machines. What a great saw. The parts cabinets are out there is you keep and eye on craigslist and local auctions. A lot of industrial companies close and these things become available for not too much money. You just have to keep a close eye on the online auction websites. I have bookmarks I check every day.

Eric,
Simply amazing how far you've gone since I think 1998. I was just thinking today of when I first found your site because I came across the scaup plans I bought way back when you were building yours.
Days gone by.
That is one impressive setup you have, I'm very envious.

I still love the site and have a Bud Miles restoration project I had to put on hold for a while because of day job and small biz. This will be the year i think I'll do it :)

Btw, I finally have to make me a new duckboats.net hat... I haven't run that design in years.

Mark

Last edited:
Mark, thanks for the compliment. Yes, a lot of years have gone by and many projects have been shared here and so many friendships made.

Those are a batch of call bodies I turned 7 or so years ago. I need to make the inserts and finish them. A project I will complete one day, after the shop is done.

Are you able to make the hats again? I gave the last one I had to my son's friend who wears it all the time and all the boys think the design is the coolest. I'd like to make another run if you can. Let me know.

Great seeing you on the board and can't wait to see your sneakbox project.

Eric

I lost my hat many years ago in the water somewhere and would order a couple for sure. It is the coolest design ever.

Are you able to make the hats again? I gave the last one I had to my son's friend who wears it all the time and all the boys think the design is the coolest. I'd like to make another run if you can. Let me know.
Eric

Still is a very cool design.
I'll see if we still a few of those hat styles left, if not, you'll need to choose something different.
Same with the thread colors, I'll check & see what I have left.
View attachment hats.jpg
View attachment hatfront.jpg

Dave , that was back when I was able to spend a lot more time on the water, not like this year. I guess losing things just is part of the price we pay.

Back