Woodcock

Some of my fondest memories over the years, have been time spent standing on television edge of Woodcock cover watching and listening to their springtime mating flights. If I feel patient enough, I can often manage to get close enough to actually see them land and take off again. Neat stuff!

Jon

Steady flight of birds landing in the soft exposed edge of my property. Good to see and watch then!

Just in time for the next snow, John. Saw one forecast today saying up to a foot down your way Friday into Saturday.

meep! Heard My first woodcock of the year just now as I got back from work at 8 in the dusky light. About 10 miles south of Canada in eastern vermont.

Peenting like crazy last night at dusk in the pouring rain. Too dark to see them, but no mistaking that sound.

Jon - If you should go to Mosquito Wildlife Refuge in Ohio. There is a Woodcock Singing Ground Area that is worth experiencing at dusk. Great birds Woodcock, no matter where they are.

First day of small game season in western PA, was always a mixed bag of pheasants, grouse and woodcock. Not so any longer. Now it's a long drive to hither and yon, but well worth it.

We have a bumper crop of small red worms in our area of western NY this Spring. So the birds have a abundance of food, as do the trout.

Back