April Workbench

MLBob Furia

After a rainy week, the sun came out this weekend and started to dry things out. It has been nice weather to get into the studio and paint.

Before the rain came today, I charged the battery and put it back in the mower this morning and cut grass for the first time.

When the rain arrived, I finished up the Can hen that completes this spatter-painted pair:

IMGP8332%20800%20x%20665_zpspxkp4hzv.jpg

IMGP8358%20900%20x%20598_zpsafyebvjv.jpg

IMGP8382%20900%20x%20657_zpsqswjxvvq.jpg

Beautiful work as always, Bob!

Here are some wayward Brant that I returned to their "born identity".....

These 5 birds have very nice wooden heads from Autumn Wings on Herter's Model 92 bodies. The bodies had been nicely burlapped.

Sarno%20Brant%2001_zps9kepu8lj.jpg

Sarno%20Brant%20-%20Feeder_zpsr6yypox8.jpg

Sarno%20Brant%20-%20High-head_zpslebljpqb.jpg

I coated the heads with epoxy + sawdust to give a rich, deep Black to them. And - a
s usual - I set the heads in caulk so they would not turn and so the anchor lines could not get wedged between head and body. Gunning paint is Behr Ultra from Home Depot.

Sarno%20Geese%20-%20hanging_zpsybrrjlx5.jpg

I replaced the overlarge (IMO) 1/4-inch eye lags with smaller s/s. The others protruded quite a bit - always a hazard to rig mates. Bottoms are a medium Grey - so owner can mark name there.

Sarno%20Geese%20-%20Screw%20eye%20detail_zpsr02ildab.jpg

I chased a pair of nesting Canadas - along with a pair of Mallards and about 8 Woodies - off the Hemlock Swamp before sea trials.

Sarno%20Geese%20-%20pair%20on%20water_zpsjez2ykn2.jpg

Sarno%20Goose%20-%20Feeder%20on%20water_zps6bwmbp3w.jpg

sarno%20Goose%20-%20Upright%20on%20water_zps4qa6bda9.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Steve,
What colors did you use for the Geese? I have a half dozen that I need to paint and I have never done geese or for that matter hardly ever shoot them. So I have no idea what colors to use.
Thanks in advance.

[size 4]Nice restoration, Steve. Especially like what you did with the heads. Those bodies look tough as nails.

You've been busy, John. Looks like your weather is starting to turn. Pretty soon the dog training will begin again in earnest.

Hello Bob, yes the weather started getting real nice when I took the pics of the whistlers then 2 days ago we got a blast of winter 6 inches snow , now it's getting beautiful again, yes looking forward to some better weather dog training , especially when it's warm enough to get the dawgs in the water. Looking at that pair you just finished ( beautiful) your no slouch yourself .

John, love the expressive pose on that rbm! It's just what those crazed fish ducks are prone to do
G

Its been awhile since I had a workbench pic to share. Life gets busy I guess. Nice work this month guys!

Lesser Yellowlegs. These little guys are moving thru in small numbers now, the big push will hit later this month.

Nice bird, Jode..... and Happy Birthday!

While doing the canvasback pair, I unearthed a wigeon head that had been lying half-finished on the workbench for a while.

So the next logical project became a pair of wigeon. They're on the sealing table now getting two coats of Val-Oil

Thanks Bob, love your Wigeon. I think they may be the perfect birds for your spatter technique

Been a while since I've posted. Here's a pair of Toronto mallards I finished up. And a pair of pintails I can't remember if I posted these or not. Buying and selling a house has been taking up most of my time.

Good Easter morning, Tom~

It's still quiet and so I dare not utter any sounds - but my mouth immediately formed the O-WOW! shape as soon as I opened your post this morning. Your clean lines and elegant paint are spectacular - congratulations!

George Williams sent me these photos last night. He has decided to leave his own DNA on his work in lieu of the more traditional signature.

GW%20Shelldrake%20with%20blood_zpsk7akeql8.jpg

This Herd of Shelldrake is part of the State of Delaware's DU package for this year.

GW%20Shelldrake%20herd_zpswg0jinwr.jpg

All the best,

SJS

Back