Old patina

Brad Wainscott

This may be an easy question to answer for some, how do you get that old patina look on all wood decoys? Besides age, wear and tear, what the process used on these type of decoys. The more I try to carve the more I feel like my style may be an exaggerated feature with a lot of character and a simple paint job. Really just want to know the process they used. Tia

Last edited:
Brad I have only done this on a few occasion when someone what a new decoy to look old. I have hit them small chains rubbed the high spot very fine steal wool and vinegar and soak the metal in vinegar also to make it rust. I am sure there are a lot of other things that can be done.

[size 4]+1 on Vince's recommendation that you apply the paint very thin. Tone down the bird with light Raw Umber washes as well
Light abrasives like a #0000 steel-wool or very fine-grit piece of worn, cloth-backed sandpaper can be used to add wear spots.

The aged patina gloss is a tough one, but you might try rubbing in Milsek Furniture Polish (The one they manufacture that is labeled "orange"). I used it on the birds I did a restoration on for Jim Bosanny Jr's Dad a few years back.

View attachment 006.jpg View attachment Bozbills6.jpg

Last edited:
I have used Briwax dark over acrylic with good results. Beware though, it can remove the paint on a fresh paint job! This can be used to get an antiqued effect but you can overkill pretty quick too.

[size 4]Actually, Brad, "back then" the process probably involved laquer sanding sealer or straight linseed oil, followed by a few coats of left over, , oil -based house paint from the local hardware store mixed with commercial thinners, and a whole lot of exposure to hard use.

I'd wager that not too many of the old "masters" gave much thought to which Windsor Newton tube oils applied with sable hair brushes would result in a rich "patina."

Bob

Last edited:
Lead paint was mostly the reason for the patina, along lots of use and abuse, as Bob already stated.

Now it's achieved in "secret ways" that many know, and keep to themselves.

Back