Gas Tank Conversion-Portable to Permanent

Andrew L.

Having trouble finding the right size permanent tank for the BBIII to fit under the front deck compartment.

Has anyone tried to convert a portable fuel tank to a permanent one?

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
Has anyone tried to convert a portable fuel tank to a permanent one?

[/font]Andrew,
I have not done this but I suppose it could be accomplished safely. It may depend on just how the portable tank is configured. Personally I would NOT want a quick connect at the tank (in a permanent setting) so if the tank already has a quick connect built into the hose connection/tank fitting, that tank may not be a good candidate. I'd prefer a simple threaded to barbed (for the hose) fitting.

As to the fill side of the equation, that may take some custom engineering. A portable tank will have the venting built into the fill cap, a permanent tank usually has a dedicated vent. If I was going about a conversion, I'd cut away the molded threads for the present fill cap. Cut them flush with the top of the tank, leaving just a flush opening. Then I would design a two piece plate used to cap that opening and to attach a fill hose. One piece would be a backer ring with a tapped bolt circle pattern. This would be slipped into the inside of the tank and the outer plate would be attached to it, effectively sandwiching the tank top between them.

Prior to assembly, the upper plate would need both a vent fitting and a stub length tube welded to it to attach a fill hose. Probably 1.5 or 2.0 diameter for the fill hose, which would be mated to a purchased cap assembly.

As I said, I've not done this, just brainstorming in my head as I write this. If you decide you want to proceed, I'd be happy to discuss my thoughts with you more in depth.

Andrew, check the legalities first. A lot has changed in regards to approved tanks.
http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/fuel.html

Ed,

The author of the article you linked made an interesting statement in his writing. He is talking about the CG standards for fuel systems and goes on to say that a recreational boat with an outboard is not require to adhere to those standards, only recreational boats with an inboard engine.

I have no idea whether he is correct or incorrect in his statement.

Quote from the link;

The Federal fuel system safety standards in 33 CFR 183.501-183.590 apply to:
Recreational Boats with permanently installed inboard gasoline engines for:
Propulsion
Generators
Auxiliary Equipment
This does not apply to:
Outboards:

Last edited:
Thanks Dave we were thinking along the same lines.

Phil had the easiest idea yet of simply installing a 6" hatch above the tank on front deck.

Andrew,

A six inch hatch would give you access to the top of your fuel tank but for what purpose?

I am guessing you wish to fill the fuel tank without removing it from the boat? If so, I'd recommend you reconsider that procedure. Any spillage or overfilling event will put raw fuel into the interior of your hull. Not a good situation.
Any spillage or over filling with a permanent tank set up properly will disperse the extra fuel onto the exterior of the hull where it can not collect unseen and unnoticed.

If you decide to stay with a portable tank yet want direct access, I'd suggest a larger hatch opening(larger than 6 inch). As in large enough to remove the hatch cover, disconnect the fuel line and lift the tank out.

Last edited:
Andrew,

I had a custom tank made for my BB3 when I built it. Company is RDS Manufacturing, Perry, FLA. http://www.rdsaluminum.com/marine-custom.html The tank capacity is about 9 gals. and conforms to the proper regs.

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
Replacing a quick disconnect fitting is easy.
Just remove and add a barbed fitting.... eazy peazy

[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Geo Kaiser,

[/font] This is the type of disconnect I was referring to. I don't see an easy way to remove it and replace with a barbed fitting. Maybe you can enlighten me.
View attachment img_2800.jpg

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]I was thinking of the newer type of tanks made today.
You're showing an older antique tank for your days !
LOL
[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica][/font]

If a guy is using it ,,,,,,,,,,,, it must still be current. :>) :>)

BTW; This is on a 2009 Yamaha 15hp two stoke outboard engine with the original factory tank. I don't consider that to be "antique".

Last edited:
Well Dave the tank came from my stash so by association it must be antique. Andrew, if it doesn't work out bring it back exchange or refund no problem. Boat looks great by the way

No worries Tom, I am using that tank for my other 14' v-Hull.

I have a different 6 gallon for this boat that does have the ability to change.

Back